Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

What's the least horrible and least frustrating way to reset a windows 7 password without losing data?

My neighbor died recently. While he was alive, he never logged out of Windows 7. He had his PC setup so it wouldn't require a password when waking from sleep mode.

It DID however require a password after being restarted, and now his wife can't use the pc to print things. 

She wants ME to reset the password even though I don't know it... because I'm the "tech support expert". There is no recovery disc to use. How can I reset the password without reformatting?

Update:

Apparently, people don't understand how sarcasm quotes work. See, sarcasm quotes around the words "tech support expert" mean I'm NOT actually an expert... just a normal guy who always gets asked to fix this kind of stuff.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Hi. There are now lots of "password reset utility" programs available that work on Win7. Check a few of the major, reputable software sites that come up in a search for that term, most of the good programs are free but You might need to burn a blank cdr to use them.

G'Luck!!!.

• 1 month ago

the password is a security feature, it can be reset but it is meant to be difficult

• 1 month ago
  • 1 month ago

Select the Start button , select Control Panel, select User Accounts, select User Accounts, and then select Manage User Accounts. ...

On the Users tab, under Users for this computer, select the user account name, and then select Reset Password.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I was about to help you, until you wrote " Tech support expert ".

Some expert that can't reset password.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

if you are tech support, you should know how to reset it. it's not a simple process, because if it were, then what would be the point of having a password.

you either need a second, desktop computer to hook the hard drive to, or a Windows install disc.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The least horrible would be to take it to a local workshop with proof of ownership and let them remove the pwd. There are ways to remove the password if you search the internet.

We get lots of requests for lost passwords, basically you are asking us to tell you how to hack into a protected computer. The computer could be stolen for all we know.

Take the computer with proof of ownership to a workshop and they should be able to remove the password.

If we posted any method of bypassing/resetting a password over the internet on a public forum, any thief or hacker would think Christmas came early

• 1 month ago

Try logging on to the computer using the id "administrator" and leaving the password blank.  Most computers that come with Windows preinstalled on them have a blank administrator password.  If that lets you in, you can then go into the Control Panel and Users and reset their password from there.

The second option is to log on to the computer with a new ID.  Once you are in go into the c:\users folder and find the folder with the name of the old ID.  Open a second window to c:\users and the folder of the new ID.  Copy all the folders from the old ID into the new ID.  This will duplicate everything that was in the old folder into the new folder.  That will allow the new folder to see everything the old ID had.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.