Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

In an automotive manufacturing factory, why is the assembly line moving while the workers are working on the production?

In an automotive manufacturing factory, why is the assembly line moving forward while the workers are manually working on the production? If the assembly line is moving, shouldn't that be done by machines, robots, and automation instead? As to ensure the labors' safety as well as to keep up to time before the parts are transferred to another station(s). 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Because the assemblers arranged along the assembly like in a serial process. For example, the door panels are put on first and then the interior door handles and window handles, at least on older models. So, the door panels are put on and the car moves along to the next people who put on things that go over the door panels. Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have worked on continuously moving assembly lines and indexing assembly lines. 

The indexing assembly line sat still for 15 seconds, then in about 1 second, indexed to the next position. 

There were advantages and disadvantages to each.

• 1 month ago

The assembly line movement is scaled for smooth production and each job is doable in the time allotted.

• 1 month ago

Henry Ford created it in 1913.  It was copied throughout the world.  Thousands of assembly lines for thousands of products have been running non-stop 24 hours a day 7days a week for 107 years.  They even have moving assembly lines run by robots.  Look it up.  Pretty sure hey have all the bases covered.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

People get tired, machines don't.

• 1 month ago

Because about 100 years of automobile building have shown it to be the most efficient.  Do you think the manufacturers would persist with it if there were a more cost-effective method?  Or perhaps you think that you have some better ideas ?

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I had machine contract inside Toyota, Georgetown, KY. I hooked up the wires wrong and burned up the motor power supply. Then I got a free tour ending up at the Electrical Shop using a golf cart. The Toyota electrical shop had all the parts and tools I needed. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  There are tasks that humans do better than the robots when it comes to assembly.  So, the assembly line moves to meet production quotas where robots do some of the work and humans do the rest.  Its a very big deal in a manufacturing facility when the line "stops".  Machinists, technicians run to the site of the problem and do everything to get that lie moving again.  So safety matters.  Not because anyone cares about the worker, they care about his lawyers and they care about keeping the line moving not stopping for an injury, investigation, cover up, situation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.