Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Should child rapists over age eighteen be punished by death by hanging?

For Dylan Smith 18 who was convicted of child rape involving a 12 year old girl.

Attachment image

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No, they should be locked up until they die. The death penalty does NOT deter crime and it stoops down to the level of the rapist or killer. Although child rapists deserve to be hanged, they don't deserve a way out (death) and if you kill them they'll have no reason to leave the victim alive. They will be HATED in prison.

• 1 month ago

No,

Government sanctioned murder is still that, murder. If I am not allowed to kill, why is the government? What kind of message does that send? Rehabilitation like in Europe is far superior to punishment. The rate of recidivism between Europe and the US speaks volumes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The US doesn't execute people by hanging, and hasn't for decades. It's considered cruel and unusual punishment, and as such, is unconstitutional. As for your question about whether the death penalty is justified in this case, the answer is NO. If the girl had died, it might potentially have been, but she didn't. And I am not even sure that life in prison without parole would even be appropriate, either. Because rapists and pedophiles CAN CHANGE their behavior with appropriate treatment and therapy. Survivors of such crimes can also recover and rebuild their lives. Killing the perpetrators of sex crimes doesn't really do anything to help the survivors of such crimes. And it can cause problems for the perpetrators' families- yes, they have them, just like we all do.

I think that a long prison sentence in a maximum security facility, WITH access to mental health treatment, is the best course of action here.

• 1 month ago

Morally, they deserve it. Practically speaking, however, it would probably lead to a lower conviction rate. It might also motivate some predators to kill their victims to ensure their silence. (And that doesn't even address the issue of convicting someone in error.)

(Incidentally, the person who said hanging isn't legal in the US was wrong. Washington state still allows for execution by hanging. Done correctly, hanging breaks the neck and renders the victim instantly unconscious, making it a quicker and less painful method than most other forms of execution.)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Go burn you authoritarian trash

• 1 month ago

And then 3 days later it comes back that the lab screwed up the DNA tests.As much as you'd like to see these guys ROT there's no way the death penalty should be used.Besides,they die-it's over.With life in prison they HAVE TO STAY ALIVE LOOKING AT A CEMENT WALL FOR 60 YEARS.Think about that,how BORING and MIND AFFECTING that would be..:) NO,give them "LIFE IN PRISON"...:)

• 2 months ago

Up to the judge. They directly with these cases. 

I'm not a big fan of the death sentence but if a sensible judge said to i wouldn't protest 

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Killing people is never good.

• helene
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If he killed the girl, sure.

Did he?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Over draconian punishment screws up society in my view.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.