Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kaela asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why does oatmeal keep making me feel sick?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Oats contain a protein called avenin, which can cause an allergic reaction in some people. A person who has eaten oats can sometimes feel unwell and experience the symptoms of an oat allergy.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You might be allergic to something in the recipe because oat meal itself does not make many people sick but is often something safe to eat for people who are sick. However some people are allergic to oats.

Takeaway. Sensitivity or allergy to oats is uncommon. People with these conditions have an immune system reaction to avenin, a protein found in oats. People who are sensitive to gluten, such as those with celiac disease, may also react adversely to oats due to cross-contamination of products.

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Oatmeal does no ACTION.......... Not enough information

no SPECIFICS  of the symptoms of " SICK "  was given  to play detective

those living do action

as to a human body response to oatmeal

an Oat allergy is NOT common

but can  occur in humans  at any age

an allergy to Oats  might result in symptoms from mild to severe  ,

such as a blotchy irritated itchy skin ,

a rash or skin irritation  on or in the mouth ,

a runny nose  after eating a bowl of oatmeal  may be a  sensitivity to a PROTEIN found in oats  called AVERNIN  also  chronic  oat sensativity can cause  stomach irritation diarrhea fatique

one may NOT be allergic to Oats

but rather have a GLUTEN  sensitivity  or Celiac Disease

GLUTEN is a protein found in WHEAT 

. oats do not have  GLUTEN , but  they are often grown and processed  in facilities  that do 

additionally   is MILK  being put on the oatmeal

might be a lactose  sensitivity not the oatmeal   people with a oat allergy may  experience SKIN reaction  in products such as  lotions and soaps facial masks   that contain colloidal  oatmeal ..... get tested  a person can purchase at home allergy test kits   (  less expensive ) or see a dermatologist

.. feel better soon

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I can't possibly know. But there is no reason to continue to eat it. If it helps, I cannot eat commercial salad dressing. I don't know what is in it or why, but it wreaks havoc with my body. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your stomach just must not like it.

• 2 months ago

because you keep eating it?? If something makes you sick, don't eat it.  It could be anything from being allergic to an ingredient you put on it or simply a coincidence.

• 2 months ago

Apparently you have an intolerance to it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Maybe you make it wrong or allergies.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Add fruits and vegetable, eat little fatty food afterwards make it smooth to go down the tract

Make sure its not stale oats.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't eat it anymore. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.