Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Question about leasing ?

My parent asked to add me to a lease to show more than one person would be residing at the apartment. The reason for this was they made too much income for one person to be living there? I don’t know much about leasing but that didn’t make sense to me. Is that legitimate? I didn’t want to be tricked into co-signing. 

• Rita

The 5 most frequently asked questions about leasing

What is a finance lease?

What is an operating lease?

What is the difference between a finance lease and an operating lease?

What are the advantages of an operating lease?

What kind of equipment can be leased?

There are government subsidized apartments which have income limits.   Ask them. If this is the only place you can live, then guess what?

It sounds to me that your parent is living in a low-income subsidized apartment. Should you move in with her your income would also be considered in determining whether the two of you together would be able to remain there. If the income were too high, you'd both be evicted.

I don't know where you live, but almost everywhere one person can rent or lease a big enough apartment for any size family--so don't sign anything. Your parents are either misled or they're not understanding something. You can't make "too much income" for one person to live in an apartment. That's ridiculous. 

If you sign the lease, you're immediately responsible for the full rent. 

This definitely feels like a scam.

If you're not going to be living there, then it's not legitimate.  Most apartments don't have a problem with someone having "too much income", only too little.  If someone's can be "too much", that means that it's low income housing or that the government is subsidizing it (or both) so they're taking a home that should go to someone with less income who needs it, and may be ripping off the government.

If you are going to be living there, and the total of your income plus their income meets the income qualifications for a two-person household, then it's legitimate.

Yeah, no, that makes no sense.

It can be if you reside in the property and the property is subsidized based upon low income.  Higher limits exist for larger households.  You may only be listed as an occupant with not liability to pay the rent.

The reasoning doesn't make any sense.How can you make too much unless it's government assisted apt and your committing fraud which will get you in trouble.

Income based rentals consider to total income so if you're of legal age you can sign the lease.  I guess then the total income would be within the guidelines for 2 people.