Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Do you cook everything before putting it in the crock pot?

• ?

If you're short on time in the morning, prepare everything you need for your slow-cooked meal the night before, put it into the slow-cooker dish, cover and store in the fridge overnight

• ?

Sometimes I will BROWN meat before placing it in the crock pot, but typically no, I do not do any "pre cooking". 

Why pre cook something that is going to cook for hours? That makes no sense.

• Jane

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/slo...

Basically, if you fry meat or veg before putting into the crock pot, it will add flavour, but is not essential.

You can just chuck everything raw into it and leave for hours, and it will taste great- but follow some recipes as above!

• ?

This can depend on what you are cooking.

Browning the meat is common, this adds not only color but also flavor by caramelizing the exterior of the meat.

Caramelization is also done on veges for the same reason.

I don't use crock pots, they take up a fair amount of room and I can do exactly the same thing over very low heat in my oven or on the stovetop.  Another advantage of using the stovetop or oven for my braising, which is what is usually done in crock pots, if that I hang onto the lovely 'fond' (brown, caramelized build up on the pan that forms when browning) to enrich my sauce.  Plus it's one less pot or pan to clean.

I mostly do my braising at night while I'm asleep, prepping and browning and assembling before I got to bed, but sometimes during the day, even when I'm at work.  An oven set at 200 or 225 does a great job at braising and keeping the house warm.

generally not but some people will brown meat but it is not necessary. 

I never do. That would be the whole reason for using a crock pot; to slow cook a meal.

• denise

No, I made a beef casserole yesterday, I put the cubed stewing beef in the pot added some beef & vegetable stock, put it on high for an hour then added my prepped onions / potatoes / carrots / swede, left it for another hour.

after I added some marmite / vegemite I turned it down to medium, left it for another 90 minutes before adding some gravy granules & a little cornflour slurry, let it tick over for another hour, then  checked the thickness and flavour, made some 'Spoondrop Dumplings' and popped them in the pot for the last 20 minutes to cook and swell.

Roughly 5 hours cooking in all. We enjoyed it for dinner and my husband finished the leftovers for his lunch today, he was very satisfied.

If you like the meat can be browned in a skillet before, but I dont think its needed.    

• kswck2

Just brown your meats ahead of time and drop everything else in the crockpot

No.

And after 30 years of wasting time crock-potting, I now use an Instant Pot (pressure cooker).    Why spend ten hours and all that electricity to do what you can to in 10-60 minutes?  Plus, I don't like mushy over-cooked vegetables. 

• Ivan

No, not at all. I often brown meats before they go in though. That improves flavor in the finished product.