Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

can i still get the stimulus check?

so basically i was  claimed as a dependent adult for the 2019 taxes. i was 18 years old, and so i didn’t receive any of the stimulus check payments in 2020. i however did revive unemployment, and unfortunately owe around $700. for my 2020 taxes i will be filing as an independent. will i be able to receive all of those stimulus payments i missed since i was technically independent the entire year of 2020?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No you will not, they were based on the 2019 returns.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The rebate checks were an advance on a 2020 tax credit, so "A Hunch" is totally wrong on that point. If you qualify based on your 2020 tax return, you can claim them.  The tough point is whether or not you qualify to be a dependent in 2020.  The IRS has rules about who is a dependent and who isn't.  You can find them on the website in Publication 501. There is also an interactive assistant that can help you determine your status.  You don't qualify for the rebates if you are or COULD BE claimed as a dependent.

• 2 months ago

No.

the stimulus payments were based on 2018 and 2019 and you don't qualify for either of those years

to file as independent for 2020, you should be more than "technically" independent for most of the year.....

But what happened in 2020 doesn't matter because the payments are based on 2019 and 2018 when you were a dependent.

There has never been a time before March 27, 2020 that people received extra unemployment - not after the dot.com crash, not during the great recession = NEVER.

And not only did you get extra... you probably got 3times the unemployment you would have been eligible for had this not happened.

Instead of belly-aching that you have to pay a tiny bit of it back in taxes, you should be extremely grateful that you get to keep MOST OF IT.  And you should be really thrilled that the government did not have the quick capacity to make it percentage based.  If it was, you wouldn't have gotten anything near $600 a week.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You aren't going to get a stimulus payment even if you qualify.   It is too late for advance payment.  If you do qualify, you can claim the tax credit on your 2020 tax return.

Can someone else legally claim you as a dependent in 2020?   If yes, you do not qualify for the stimulus EVEN IF they don't claim you.

If no one can legally claim you in 2020, you probably qualify.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.