Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Would it be a terrible idea to buy a bunch of rental properties if I plan to move to Florida in the next 5-10 years?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

There is no way I would buy a rental property until all the Covid eviction moratoriums are gone for good.  

• 2 months ago

Are you prepared to be a long-distance landlord?  That's the question I'd be trying to answer before investing money in a 'bunch' of properties. Yes, you'll be taking advantage of a good property market, no--you won't be able to easily manage all those properties if you move out of state. Besides the fact of not physically being around to look at what your tenants are doing, you'll be subjected to another state's rules and regulations other than your state of residence. That can be a nightmare if some situations arose, such as hostile tenants, damages to your properties, or non-payment of rent for any other reason. This is entirely up to you--but I'd definitely reconsider the idea. You could buy the rentals in Florida when you move. 

• 2 months ago

A good idea if you see a near-term sharp rise in property values. A bad idea as a long-term investment unless you think you can still be in the black while paying a competent property manager, because managing property from afar is not smart.

• 2 months ago

Not if you plan to hire a property management company.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes it would be a really bad dea if you plan on moving out of the area unless you sell it when you move. Wait & buy where you are moving to. Being an absantee landlord is a recepie for disaster. 

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Right now, with covid, housing is in a bubble, prices are artificially high due to large demand, small supply. While that could just be my state, i have heard that is the same around the US right now.  All that means is right now, is not the best time to buy or invest in housing/rentals and such. When things chill out, people stop trying to flee from the cities, people can return to the office for work and such. The demand will drop. Many who fled will realize that they like being able to walk to everything. The the quiet of the suburbs is not quite what they wanted. That is the time to start looking.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Might not be great.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.