Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

UK: if I buy a bus for my own use do I need a PSV license ?

5 Answers

  • ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago


  • 2 months ago

    Not if you don't use the vehicle for hire or reward. 

  • 2 months ago

    For anything much over a Minibus (transit van style) you need a C1 licence.

    That's down to the vehicle weight - anything over 3.5 tons, regardless of type.

    Anything 7.5 tons or more and you need a Class C.

    That is, unless you passed your test before 1st January 1997; if you did, you are OK for vehicles up to 8.25 tons without an extra test.

    For a passenger-carrying bus, it would be D1 or D respectively.


  • 2 months ago

    Maybe, maybe not.  It seems a complicated question.  This link suggests you do need one:

    But this one suggests not, but an HGV licence might be needed if over 7.5 tonnes.

    Check your licence to see what categories are on it.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    No, only if you are carrying fare-paying passengers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.