Why do I owe School district tax?

I owe school district tax for 2018 but I wasn't living or working in that school district that year. I moved the beginning of 2019 and filed my taxes with that school district but in 2018 I didn't live there? My work papers even show all year that I lived in another school district.  Why do I owe? 

Were your kids registered in that district in 2018?

You don't, clearly it's an error.

• Judy

you shouldn't.  call them.

You don't owe if you don't own property. If you did not buy a house, etc. you have nothing to worry about. If you bought a house, the mortgage closing date is the indicator. The previous owner owes the taxes. This is a common trick.

You don't owe to that district but you may to another jurisdiction.

So fix the error on your taxes, to correct your residency.