Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

I told a company I needed 4 weeks to start new job is that too long? I’m relocating across the country!?

I just got a job offer in Charleston SC. I currently live in Houston TX. I need to give my job 2 weeks notice and need to break my lease, get a moving truck to move plus find an apartment in Charleston or at least an extended stay! This offer was not “expected.” I was told I’d hear back in 4-6 weeks but heard back today with an offer. My interview was yesterday. They asked me how long I needed to relocate I told them 4 weeks. They told me that might be pushing it and that they were really hoping I could be there by March 1st! That’s VERY short notice for me to just up and move across the country! Should I take all of this as a red flag? I’d even take 2 weeks but expecting me to be ready to start work Monday seems a little quick? Is 4 weeks too long to ask for prior to starting a job? Is 2 weeks acceptable?

Update:

This job is NOT virtual or that would have allowed me more time to relocate. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    So it is an offer you made and they want you earlier......... suggest you contact them and tell them you have to give 2 weeks notice with your present job and you have to negotiate with your landlord the price of breaching your rental contract and ask them what they suggest however it will be at least 2 weeks because of your job notice... this shows them you respect your employer and if they are a descent employer they will respect your decision.... what is 'acceptable' it really up to them

  • 2 months ago

    They're not being unreasonable asking you to start earlier, but you are going to have a hard time getting everything settled in two weeks. It CAN be done, but it will be hard. 

    I think 2 weeks IS an acceptable counteroffer to make. You may have to put off some of the transition stuff for a month until you can handle it. 

  • 2 months ago

    4 weeks is probably longer than they'd want to wait. 

    I mean, you applied for the job, so it's on you to make sure you can get to it. 

  • 2 months ago

    Two weeks is reasonable.  Four might not be.  You don't need to deal with the lease and moving truck or extended stay immediately.  You can keep your current apartment for now, with your stuff in it, and keep paying the rent for it.  Just pack enough clothes for a week, like you were going on a vacation, and stay in a hotel.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    3 sounds a lot better. But maybe your current employer will let you go after a week?

    Ask if they can do that.

  • 28AKO
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    No. Four weeks is gd but if they can't wait job wasn't meant to be

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    4 weeks is long, 2 weeks is acceptable.  They are crazy to expect you to be there in less than a week.  As them if there is any possibility that you could start working remotely.  If so, then try for the 4 weeks.

  • 2 months ago

    No, 4 weeks is not too much to ask, in fact it is a completely reasonable amount of time when relocating.  And yes, that is a red flag if they expected you to relocate and start in less than a week.  There are those who live within the scope of reality, and those who don't and this suggests that their future demands of you also won't exist in reality.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I think it's pretty crappy of them to encourage you to bail on your current employer by not even giving two weeks' notice.

    If they need someone on Monday, they should have offered the job to someone who lives locally. 

    You will have to figure out what you're willing/not willing to do and then they will decide whether they'd like to rescind the offer or not.  

    I'd be really hesitant to bail on your current employer because you may want to go back someday or you may need a reference.

    If your new employer really wants you and has an iota of respect for your wish to leave your current job in an appropriate manner, they will make it work.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.