Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do you hold off on joining military for your dog?

I'm not in a huge rush to join bc I can't even decide what to do yet or which branch to join...

I have two dogs and they're kind of my life, and I live with dad still and I think he can take care of the younger one no problem, but the older one needs medication daily and dad won't remember anything so the dog will have constant seizures... The older dog is my whole childhood and he already has some kind of dementia, and I don't want me leaving for the military be my older dog's death.. (especially the thought of him dying alone when I'd rather him be in my arms..) So should I hold off longer on trying to join...? 

Everything in me says yes, why join now and leave them, but then I put some perspective to it and realize I may be holding back my career and future life for a dog, which I'm not sure if I should do or not... 

Update:

And no, the dog is not in pain or suffering in any way, he loves life and does not want to be put down... (He's been getting medicine all his life for seizures but I'm the only one who's ever remembered to give it to him which is why Im afraid to leave it up to my dad who doesn't even remember the dog's name at times...) He's at the stage where he loves naps a lot more often, so not old enough that he's suffering... 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can't leave your puppy dog children behind!  You're their parents.

Military application:  Do you have any children?

You:  Yes.  Two of them.

"He's at the stage where he loves naps a lot more often, so not old enough that he's suffering..."

Who?  The dog or your dad?

Attachment image
    Source(s): Lol. How do you know your dog has dementia?
  • 1 month ago

If you even have to THINK about this, don't hold off on enlisting. Don't enlist at all.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In your case, I'd wait on your potential future career until the dog issue resolves itself. You will be happier

• 2 months ago

I think you've already answered your question. If you feel that strongly about your dog, it may be best to wait since your commitments as a servicemember may or may not allow you to keep the dog with you and care for him in his final years. I sympathize a little, as the dog I grew up with died while I was away at college, but I moved on and he's now a fond but distant memory. It's worth considering that in general, a job in the military could also make it difficult for you to be there for your family members during tragedy. There are some measures in place to allow you emergency leave when immediate family members are gravely ill or dead, but there's no guarantee that it'll be granted or that you'll get there in time to say goodbye.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Do you know if your dog is in pain, if he is he should be put down by a vet, it's the most humane thing you can do or are you letting him suffer so you'll still have him.

no point joining the military if you're worrying about you dog all the time, you have to be 100% committed, make the decision, no one else can make it for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.