Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How to wire a smart thermostat? Dual Transformer system? R , Rc, W , Y , G. No C wire?

Is this system considered a Dual Transformer system? According to Nest since there is a R and RC cable it must be a dual transformer. But they were unsure and I don't know what that means! I don't have a C wire. Trying to figure out which smart thermostat is best suited for such a setup and hook it up without tearing up much or pulling new wires!

Hope the picture makes sense. I currently have a Honeywell Thermostat with the following wires hooked up.

R, RC, G, Y , W. No jumpers. I have a FirstCO Air Hnadler, Burnham Heat, and AC unit outside the house. Current Thermostat: Honeywell TH6220D1002 FirstCo Air Handler: 30MBX-3HW 120V-1PH-60HZ

• ?

I'm geussing your old thermostat had a wire hooked to R an one to RC Doubt you have a dual transformer system.  Your A/C has a 24v control system.   Your gas furnaces problem runs on millivolt. Which is just the natural voltage on a closed circuit. 

If you have a spare wire between the furnaces an thermostat you can use that as your common. You'll hook it to the common side of transformer. If I remember right nests have to have common theres no batteries.  But I could be wrong.

Return the thermostat.  Your system is not broken.  Do not fix it.

the manual for your hvac system has the hookup diagram you need for it and the Burnham manual the one for it  -- too bad you didn't give us model numbers

• arther

is your system using the jumper between r and rc? 

Is it currently supplied by the system power or just a battery?

would determine how to change it .

with loop removed

r is the power that comes for the heating unit transformer. switches to w when calling for heat

rc is the power that comes from the cooling unit transformer. swithes to y when cooling call, y2 2nd compressor..