Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

PTIN question?

If i have a PTIN that i received from the firm that i work at. I am able to use that same PTIN number for when i prepare tax returns on my behalf. With my owe business.

Update:

The PTIN was given to me by the IRS when i applied online. Which i needed to apply for because i prepare sales tax returns, payroll returns, and quarterly payroll returns. I prepare 1040, and business returns. However my PTIN does not show up on the returns i prepare. Only the partner in charge PTIN shows up on the returns before they are filed. I am able to use that same PTIN number for when i prepare tax returns on my behalf. With my owe business.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The PTIN is your number.  Just yours.

• 2 months ago

If i have a PTIN that i received from the firm that i work at.

NO YOU DON'T. If you THINK you do, you are 100% UNQUALIFIED to prepare a tax return, even fore yourself.

A PERSONAL Taxpayer Identification Number is issued BY THE IRS to individuals that are liable for US Federal Income tax, but NOT eligible for a Social Security Number.

Your update LITERALLY states you FLAT OUT LIED in your original question.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't receive a PTIN from your employer.  You have to apply on your own for one.  If someone else is signing the return or if their name is printed on it, it's not your PTIN.  Go on the IRS website and learn how all this works before you even THINK of going out on your own.  Your employer may not think much of the idea either.

• 2 months ago

No.

The firm is not taking responsibility for returns that you do on your own time.

If you don't understand this, you shouldn't do taxes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.