Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Marriage advice?

My wife and I have been together for over 10 years now, but only married for almost 2. I feel our biggest issues are not communicating enough on both our parts, no compromising, and me not doing what my wife says all the time. I suggested marriage counseling to help us to learn how to resolve these issues, but she refuses to go. She says it’s pointless, and why should we tell a stranger our problem if we can’t even solve them. She also said she has no faith in that profession and that there’s no other options to fix our marriage. I’m wanting and willing to go to therapy to learn how to have a happy and healthy marriage, but she says she won’t even bother to try at this point cause there’s “nothing” for us to do to try and fix us. What can I do? Divorce is my last resort, and I want us to be able to fix things, but she feels the opposite and says she isn’t willing to try anymore. Just need advice, if any. Thank you.

maybe suggest a friend or a neutral party you can both talk to and receive advice. 

You should go into solo therapy to perhaps learn some tips on how to deal with her. Eventually you should invite her to attend one of your sessions to "help me with my communication issues". Try that in the hopes she'll open up to you, but if she flatly refuses and you two can't come together at all divorce may sadly be your only option. 

• ?

I guess you're just going to have to accept her for the negative person she is.  And why do you have to "do what your wife says"?  That's strange... but i don't think this is a real situation

Be honest with her.  Tell her she sounds like she has given up, and if she isn't willing to seek help, the next step is divorce.  Sometimes people need to know what is at stake to motivate them.  Point out that she may be right, seeking counseling may be a waste of time, but at this point there is nothing to lose by giving it a try.

That being said, sometimes when you wait too long to address your issues, one or both give up on the relationship so there is nothing that can be done.

• ?

Face it, she is  not willing to try, so why hold o? Go get the divorce, or in time she will get it.

• i + i

Since she is the "no compromise" type, 

she probably is afraid of counseling since 

then she would have to acknowledge the 

part she is playing in the demise of your 

marriage. It is now time for you not to 

compromise -- let her know that it is 

that, or the end of the marriage. 

You'll have to not back down on 

this, and (sadly) you will have to 

be prepared to follow through. 

Good luck.

Has your wife said why she's given up completely?