Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My boyfriend is upset at me for going to Vegas without him, what should I do? (More info down below)?

Okay so I know the question sounds bad BUT he was invited. My aunt decided she’d get married in Vegas and I told him about it. He didn’t want to go because he didn’t wanna be around my stepdad. They have issues with each other and my stepdad actually punched him for no reason when he was drunk. Ever since my boyfriend has had an OBVIOUS dislike for him. He’s been on and off with my mom but it’s for things I understand because I’d also be mad for how they were, how they treated me and of course how he was treated. Me and my mom even got in a fight recently. Not about him but for personal reasons. Anyways. I kept telling him we’d have a separate room in the AirBNB and my parents even invited him and said they’d leave him alone. I know he was suspicious and assumed something would happen but I knew my other family wouldn’t let that happen because they like him. His second excuse was money which I told him I’d help him pay for the tickets and other things. Either way he’s still upset I experienced this without him despite it being a family event. (That he was invited to) I do feel bad for him not being here but I also hate to feel blamed for something I couldn’t control. I just want to know your opinions and suggestions on how to treat this. 

• T J

Leave him be. You cannot do anything to change how he feels. You are lucky he did not drop you when it happened. He will be like this until they die. So leave him alone and never push him to go anyplace they are. This whole thing will not change. Your stepdad is lucky your BF did not have him arrested and charged for assault.  Do not ever try it again, leave him with his anger, hate and rage. Or you may be next.

Your boyfriend needs to get over himself.  Why couldn't he politely decline the invitation instead of being "upset" that you went.  It was, after all, a family function. But even if you went to Vegas with girlfriends for a weekend or week, you have the right to get away from it all and have fun.  

My opinion is your boyfriend needs to stop acting like a girl.  Does he always act like this?  If so, and if he were my boyfriend, that wouldn't last long because i don't put up with ridiculous behavior (and your boyfriend is ridiculous).

i dont think you did anything wrong by going

• GF

He is immature 

not much you can do, you had a right to go

"I kept telling him we’d have a separate room in the AirBNB and my parents even invited him and said they’d leave him alone. "   If I was your boyfriend, I wouldn't buy that load of crap.  So I'm not surprised that your boyfriend didn't believe it, either.  A separate room in an AirBNB is not a safe place for him, unless it has a private entrance, a private bathroom, a private living room and a private kitchen.  If he has to share any common area with your parents, then of course he'd be suspicious of that arrangement.  FOR GOOD REASON.  Your parents said they'd leave him alone?  Yeah, they've been so good at doing that, so far...

I'm with your boyfriend on this, I think he has every right to be upset.  If you really wanted him to be there, you could have made arrangements for the two of you to stay somewhere else.   Without a reservation for a private room somewhere, then the invitation to come along meant absolutely nothing at all...because he had good reason to refuse such an invitation.

I do not think you have anything to really feel guilty about. Just because you are in a relationship does not mean you have to spend every second of the day together. I know this may sound confronting but your boyfriend needs to respect your independence and accept the fact that there will be occasions where you experience things separately. In any case, you did invite your boyfriend and he chose not to attend albeit due to circumstances surrounding his relationship with your family. My advice would be to reassure him that just because you experienced Vegas without him does not mean that you have lost feelings for him. What you could do is also plan a romantic date night with him as a way of proving this. 

Your boyfriend needs to suck it up. He had the opportunity to go and chose not to which is find and understandable given the relationship difficulties. But he shouldn't want to stop you from doing what you want.

He can be upset, but you did nothing wrong. If he can't move past it, then perhaps you should reevaluate the relationship. If he is just mad about it for a couple days, well, so be it. I'm sure he has (or will) do things that you are 100% thrilled about.