If I buy an expensive coin off eBay from a seller with years of 100% feedback, how do I know for certain if it's still ' genuine ' ?

Simple. You won’t know until the goods are in your hand. 

By that stage it becomes far more difficult to resolve things if the goods are NOT what you expected. 

Don’t rely just on a 100% feedback score. Read as many reviews as possible left by buyers, and check that comments don’t appear to look as if they were mostly written by the same few people as scammers often make that mistake when setting up scam accounts.

I’ve bought some very expensive items from eBay and had very few problems: but for things like coins, precious metals and jewellery I’d insist on collecting in person so that I could check the goods myself. Just as I do when buying those kinds of goods direct from a real bricks and mortar shop.

I own a cheap but highly accurate jeweller scale accurate to 0.1g and a cheap electronic tester which tells me what the metal on the outside of an object is made of (scam gold or silver coins can have real gold or silver on the outside with a cheap copper, brass or lead filling inside). They cannot guarantee I’m not scammed, but I have had fraudulent dealers suddenly make excuses when I get the equipment out.

Go put it in a on a scale and check the markings. 

take it to a coin place and have them check it out

Post in "finance" not here please.

You take it to a local coin dealer and have him tell you.  Then if it's not you hope that you're still able to return it.