Certain foods randomly started tasting gross. Why is this?

It's not a big deal, however I am curious. A few months ago, certain foods started randomly switching to tasting gross and off. For example, dark meat of chicken and butter. I can't really explain the taste, but it's hard to eat, I've never had this issue before. The food isn't bad or rancid, and it's not all the time and all kinds. Just wondering why this is.

• ?

A sudden change in your taste buds or a sudden loss of taste can indicate an underlying medical condition. Some medical conditions that can cause a sudden change in your perception of taste include: common cold. sinus infection.

• ?

It could be caused by Coronavirus as well as a few other things.  You should get checked out by a doctor.  

• Sparky

If you are certain that the food has not gone out of date etc, it would be best to speak to a Dr.  There are many things this could indicate.

Could be covid related.  I had covid very early last year, before it was even in the news in the US and I remember things tasting weird.  I got really reallly sick, but you could have a very mild case of covid, I suggest getting tested.

Hormones change your sense of taste so first question, are you pregnant? (It could be period cycle related too--my sense of taste/smell increasing to bloodhound levels 1 week before menstruation is my most consistent symptom.)  Sense of smell effects taste, so it could be allergies or sinuses.

• CB

See a doctor - not normal. 

• kswck2

Might want to see a doctor. Could be lots of reasons, like a reaction to a medication, could be maturing or damaged taste buds. Could even be hormonal changes-or just that time of the month changes. 

Could be hormonal changes. Medications you take can also affect the way some things taste.

• GF

Brain tumor can affect taste buds