Can I still contact a friend if her mother has a restraining order on me?

My best friend made a joke to me about anti-freezing her mom. (Like dumbass teenagers do) and her mom is pushing for a restraining order on me. How would that affect my contact with her if I still can communicate with her.

depends on how the order is written.  fight the order in court, as is your right

First problem.   The planet is a big place and not only does each country has its own laws,  but laws from state to state are often not the same. 

All that said,  if the friend and her mum live together,  that is a domestic relation.  In most lands you can also NOT contact a domestic relation.  

All this said,  when you go to court you simply point out that it was not your comment and when you heard it you simply treated it as a joke as it is a joke.   

Its sad that some will abuse the court process to satisfy their own egos.

If all that happened was a stupid joke, there’s no way she will get a restraining order. Unless there’s something you’re not telling, no judge would grant a restraining order for that. Even if she was somehow able to get a restraining order, that only applies to her. You can still see your friend as long as you don’t go near her mom or her house. But I seriously doubt that will happen. If there’s no more to the story than you’re telling, her mom is either totally mistaken about what a restraining order is for, or she’s just bluffing.