Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

What does "for good measure" mean here?

In the following paragraph, what does the author mean by  "for good measure"? Here is one of the definitions I have found for this idiom, but I am not sure this is the right meaning here: "as a way of making something complete or better."

"When I was pregnant with my second son, I became obsessed with cookies-and-cream SONIC Blasts®—a drive-in delight from that fast-food place where they deliver your food on roller skates. I’d order a small but would ask for it in a medium size cup so there’d be room for extra whipped cream on top. You know, for good measure. Somehow knowing I was expected to gain weight for ten months freed me up to enjoy every single bite, every single time I indulged. Which was often."

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It means pretty much what you say it means.  to make it even better.  Not simply some whipped cream, but lots of whipped cream, which is even better.  But not simply "make it better" but "who cares about the consequences, let's do it because it will be better".

Usually, that is the idea of "for good measure".  Sometimes it is used to mean "to emphasize the point", as in "The mugger gave his victim one last kick for good measure" (kicked him again, even though there was no need, but the mugger wanted to make the point of who was in charge and what happens if you don't just obey without question). 

"You could have just given me your money, but no, you had to be a tough guy.  This is what happens when you try to be a tough guy (kicks him again for good measure)."

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For good measure in this context may mean something extra or added.

• 1 month ago

'For good measure' typically means you do a bit more to ensure a better outcome. Example:

I had to write an essay on how servants were treated in Victorian England, so I read the book we were given to study, and I also found and read more articles online for good measure, so that I would have a better understanding of the topic.

• 1 month ago

"as a way of making something complete or better" is a good explanation of the saying.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

in context, this means to excess or over and above the normal

• 1 month ago

Just to help make sure that it works out how I want it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.