Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can you apply for disability if you earn $1000 a month on a book you sell?

I'm trying to find out, I see you can't earn more than $794 a month but I have a book out a kids book I made and I typically get around $900-1000 a month but that's only $12k a year and not livable

I need to go on disability because of a debilitating illness right now and I will definitely quality for that but will they deny me because I earn $1000 a month passively? I don't do anything for it it's already out in stores.. I can't really pull them off the shelves of the stores. Not like it's a popular book and I'm making millions. 

What should I do? 

I can't work. I have a neurological condition and I'm not a writer it was a side job... I had an office job. 

I can't make another book. That book took me 5 years to put out and I only ever worked office jobs..

Okay so how do I go on disability because I can't work.. that's what I'm trying to find out. Do I tell the shops that have my book to just pull them off the shelves? I'm just looking to live and get on disability so I can focus on my health recovery.

• RICK

$1000  a month should not stop you, I believe the income limit is higher , it was about what you quote 20 years ago. I think you are confusing the $794 which is the maximum SSI pays with the maximum you can earn

the cut off is 1310/month.  794 is the maximum SSI benefit.  with work income of 1000, you would get a partial SSI benefit of 336.5 if i did the math right.

SGA was 1000/month is 2011, 900 in 2007...

if you have work credits, you get SSDI and that is not reduced by your work income.

I can't be sure, but I would guess it is considered work income.  it it's not, than you are right, it would eliminate any SSI benefit, but not SSDI.

when you pay income taxes on this, i would think you are paying into social security.

Since you did have an office job, you should have SSDI work credits.  try to apply

ssa.gov

your definition of livable and that of the disability law are, obviously, different.

If you're "making millions" you don't need ssi.

Ssi is a welfare program and has limits.

Did you apply for ssdi, or do you not have enough credits with social security to earn it?

You have your own answer, you can't earn more than $794, you're earning more than that. It doesn't say "Except for money you make from books." Whatever comes in is income, I suspect you know this and are just looking for a loophole or some sort of validation of your opinion, but sorry, no.

If you're a writer you can still work.