Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

hzava asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

PHYSICS....????

What are the implications of the relationship among the variables in Ohm's law?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

V = R*I

R = V/R

I = V/R 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In an elementary electricity class today, you are likely to be able to observe that for a fixed circuit (fixed set of resistors), a more powerful battery will provide a stronger current.  Ohm, however, was interested in varying the resistance in the circuit to show that voltage = current x resistance.  So if he used a single voltage source and connected it to twice the length of wire, the current fell by half.

Not all conducting devices obey Ohm's Law.  In particular, even the simplest devices exhibit some dependence of "resistance" on temperature.  I put "resistance" in quotation marks because we often think of it as an unchanging property of a material or device, but this is an oversimplification.  However, physics thrives on simplifications, otherwise we couldn't apply it at all.

"Implications" of Ohm's Law?  That's a really odd question.  Better look through your class notes to see what your teacher thinks.  He or she seems to be seeking a repetition of whatever views were propounded in class.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.