Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

What the most money a dealership can take off a pre-owned car if i pay cash?

The car i want costs $11,900. Do you think i can get it for $9000 if i pay cash or not?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Depends on how desperate they are to get rid of it.

You can always try offering them $9K in cash (or less to give them room to haggle) - but it depends greatly on what it is, how long they've had it, how much they are into it for, and how much they think they can get out of it.

I would probably start by test driving the car and being really critical of it.  They may tell you to take a hike, but you might get them to talk deal.

• 1 month ago

It's entirely up to the dealer how much they will discount you for cash. There's no set rule. Offer them the $9K and see what they say. 

• 1 month ago

They might want more than $11,900 if they find out you want to pay in full with cash.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

lucky if they reduce it by $500 , remember a dealer has to spend money on the car to make it sellable eg, new tires , windscreen wipers , engine tune up , cleaning , plus what he paid for the car , and used salesman wages .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

ASK THEM IF THEY WILL TAKE 9000$ FOR IT:

• 1 month ago

No one here can guess what that specific dealer would find acceptable on any given and unspecified car.

• 1 month ago

If you want a specific vehicle, do some research.  Find similar vehicles for sale:  www.kbb.com, www.cars.com, www.cargurus.com.  If the vehicle you want is priced fairly, you won't get anything knocked off.

• F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Way back when interest rates were high, dealers welcomed cash. It lowered their borrowing and improved cash flow. Therefore cash was king and always got you a good deal.

Now the interest rate is virtually zero, they don’t want your cash. They want you to sign up for a finance deal at anything up to 30% APR. They will make masses of commission from that, so don’t be surprised if they refuse to budge on the ticket price.

Don't be taken in by free servicing either. Modern cars often have a two year old change cycle, three years free servicing will amount to little more than one oil change.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Dealer says, "hmm...  I should kiss off $2,900, or sell to someone willing to pay what the car is worth?"

Really dude -- dealers are NOT in the business of losing money.

• 2 months ago

I believe it's possible. Your chances improve, if you can talk convincingly of an alternative car deal and really are prepared to walk out and go with that alternative. I doubt that cash (or check) payment is much of an advantage to an automotive dealership. Cash denies them financing charges and the potential repossession.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.