Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Hollywood is going to cast for a black Superman?  Just saw it on the local news.  Thoughts?

• ?

Seriously, what's peoples' problem with that?  Are you butt hurt that they are tearing up your childhood memories? How is that even possible? Your memories exist in your head.

It's totally unimportant what color the character is. Superman is a fictional character - he is not supposed to based on ANY reality - and the fact that Superman has previously been portrayed as white does not mean he MUST stay the same for ever by some unwritten law, because that is just damn weird. An entirely  fictional character can be portrayed in any way seen fit by those portraying him (remember guys - Superman doesn't actually exist anyway. You seem to be forgetting that !)  and if you dont like it, that's fine, make your own Superman. 

Besides which, the back story describes him as coming from another planet, so he's not EVEN a human being anyway, let alone a white one!  

Nah. It's not the "black" I'm opposed to, it's just changing the character's race at all. Black, Asian, Latino, wouldn't matter. Superman is a character that everybody knows. You go to the most remote, poorest village in the free world and say the word "Superman," and everyone is going to instantly know who you're talking about, and a very specific image is going to come to their mind. Red cape. Blue suit. Big S. Spit curl. White dude.

I've never heard anyone complain about Superman being white. I've never heard anyone accuse his creators of appropriation (in fact most folks know Superman, created by two young Jewish artists, is a metaphor for their experiences growing up as Jews in America). Superman is what he is. There is no sense in changing it. The only explanation I can think of is WB trying to pander to black audiences.

But if they really want the black audience, why not simply adapt a black character? Marvel did it with Black Panther. And BP wasn't a character general audiences were even aware of, until he showed up in Civil War. DC has plenty of their own black characters they could adapt. How about a John Stewart Green Lantern flick? A Mr. Terrific movie? A Martian Manhunter movie (granted MM isn't actually black but chooses to appear as a black man, which itself is a powerful statement). Maybe a GOOD Steel movie.

What the WB fails to recognize is that the black audience -- and the white audience, and the latino audience, and the Asian audience, etc. -- love Superman as he is. Change too much about him and he's no longer Superman. That's why there was so much of a backlash against Man of Steel. We all know Superman doesn't kill, and he certainly wouldn't have stood by and allowed his dad to die in a hurricane if he could have stopped it. If fans can look at that movie and say "Yeah, that's not the REAL Superman," what do you think they'd say if he was a different color?

It would make no sense. The original is white and why change that? It would be far better to introduce new character/superhero/-heroine that is colored. The more you change a character, the further you go away what this character is really like. It is very uncreative. Same goes about the discussions of James Bond, to change him from a white male into a woman or black guy.

I have the feeling they do this to suck up to cultural liberal academics and African-American audience (or maybe the former are already in charge). Characters like Black Panther, Shaft, Foxy Brown are a much better idea.

• ?

The whole superhero film genre has become tired, I'm long past done with it anyways and that decision is unlikely to win me or anyone else back.

Another box office flop in the making

In the Comics  , when Superman died......he originally came back as 4 different people.......

there was a clone, Superboy......Cyborg, who claimed to be a rebuilt Superman, but was pure evil, ---a Kryptonian Pretender,  evolved from some  Kryptonian device.... was like a pure Kryptonian minded Superman,  with no effects of having been raised on earth,  by nice people... so a little  cold and kinda evil--but well meaning, ......and STEEL.......a black guy, who was like a blacksmith or something....caught in a building collapse,  during the Doomsday fight....and he emerges and builds himself a Supersuit, to fill in for Superman,  since  Superman, was at that point , technically dead and buried. 

And even after that whole saga was over.......(the Kryptonian and the evil Cyborg, having been defeated)........ Superboy and Steel, each got their own spin off comic books. 

So it has sorta been done.......a black guy playing Superman, of sorts.......

and it might be interesting to see  such a version. 

Remember........a closed mind lets in no fresh air. 

I'll be honest ... it kinda annoys me ...

The problem is you can't suddenly change characters that audiences know. 

The Ghostbusters were four men. If you suddenly decide to relaunch the franchise with four women, and you simply ignore the original movies, then you can expect a big two fingers up.

If you take a character like, say, James Bond and decide you'd prefer he be Asian rather than Caucasian then it feels like a cheap gimmick. 

The same is true for Superman. 

Don't get me wrong. I don't really care who plays Superman as long as the movie is good. But deliberately taking iconic characters and changing their gender or race or sexual orientation or whatever seems really cynical and lazy - if you want to challenge the biases and discrimination in cinema, then stop recycling old franchises and characters, and start creating new ones that better reflect society today!

I hate jj Abrams for ruining star wars and star trek.

I'm not surprised here he gets his hands on superman now.

Go ahead.  I say why not. Go for it 

I guarantee louis will be white though and lana. 

i dont see anything wrong with it

That’s just wrong.