Erin asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Is it legal to own a buzzard in Michigan? ?

My bfs cousins bf was sold what they were told was a Chicken. I seen a picture and automatically knew it wasn't a chicken but a baby buzzard. 

I'm worried. They have a new born. And I know buzzards are predators so I'm worried for the new born. If they keep it i know soon they'll realize it's not a chicken but they will have raised it so they can't let it go. 

In Michigan is it legal to even own a Buzzard? I'm not sure what kind of Buzzard it is but I do know for certain it is a buzzard 

I'll have to get a picture but I'm sure it's not a chicken of any kind I've seen, or maybe they're trying to pull my leg by saying they didn't know I'm not sure. Chickens do not usually look like they came from hell 

You have to get a permit to own a buzzard.

Does your cousin know it is a buzzard?

I met a tame buzzard once.  His name was Puppy and he got excited when I said his name even though he didn't know me.  

Firstly, I doubt very much that you have a buzzard. If you do, it is an exotic and not illegal (unless it is listed on CITES). I suspect that you mean that you have a vulture, perhaps a black or turkey vulture, which ARE protected. How about posting a photo, so we can be sure?

• Kenny

Keeping a buzzard (hawk) is against federal law without a falconers license or raptor propagation license .  http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/raptors/06.html

Well, they are not endangered and don't find anything restricting their keep but I really don't think they would like a small cage.

A friend has a pet owl he lets fly about, and always comes to him with his glove on. Buzzard may not be much different.

Now the issue is feeding a baby buzzard.

All states, except Hawaii and the District of Columbia, allow people to keep hawks or falcons as pets if they have a falconry permit or license.  Of course, endangered species cannot be kept without more permits. Also the word buzzard may mean a vulture. So it is better not to use it. 

i would ask whoever is in charge about it

i would ask whoever is in charge of that this question