Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Erin asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Is it legal to own a buzzard in Michigan? ?

My bfs cousins bf was sold what they were told was a Chicken. I seen a picture and automatically knew it wasn't a chicken but a baby buzzard. 

I'm worried. They have a new born. And I know buzzards are predators so I'm worried for the new born. If they keep it i know soon they'll realize it's not a chicken but they will have raised it so they can't let it go. 

In Michigan is it legal to even own a Buzzard? I'm not sure what kind of Buzzard it is but I do know for certain it is a buzzard 

Update:

I'll have to get a picture but I'm sure it's not a chicken of any kind I've seen, or maybe they're trying to pull my leg by saying they didn't know I'm not sure. Chickens do not usually look like they came from hell 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

You have to get a permit to own a buzzard.

Does your cousin know it is a buzzard?

I met a tame buzzard once.  His name was Puppy and he got excited when I said his name even though he didn't know me.  

• 1 month ago

Firstly, I doubt very much that you have a buzzard. If you do, it is an exotic and not illegal (unless it is listed on CITES). I suspect that you mean that you have a vulture, perhaps a black or turkey vulture, which ARE protected. How about posting a photo, so we can be sure?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Attachment image
  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Keeping a buzzard (hawk) is against federal law without a falconers license or raptor propagation license .  http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/raptors/06.html

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well, they are not endangered and don't find anything restricting their keep but I really don't think they would like a small cage.

A friend has a pet owl he lets fly about, and always comes to him with his glove on. Buzzard may not be much different.

Now the issue is feeding a baby buzzard.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

All states, except Hawaii and the District of Columbia, allow people to keep hawks or falcons as pets if they have a falconry permit or license.  Of course, endangered species cannot be kept without more permits. Also the word buzzard may mean a vulture. So it is better not to use it. 

• 1 month ago

i would ask whoever is in charge about it

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would ask whoever is in charge of that this question

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.