Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What is the best way to introduce two cats to each other?

I have taken a liking to the neighborhood stray cat. We have started a GoFundMe for the cat and have raised a quarter of our goal. I have officially adopted the tuxedo cat and named him Ares (fitting name for the roughed up guy). Once he's nursed back to near full health, I do want him to spend some time inside since he's quite old.

However, I have another cat named Echo. She's turning two in March and is a dilute tortie. And gosh, does that cat have an attitude. She's smaller than a normal cat, but loves to pick fights. Ares is frail and not that brave at all.

What would be the best approach to introducing these two cats? They're complete opposites. We have set up a suitable house for Ares outside, but if there's anyway I could migrate him to the inside, please let me know!! I have attached a picture of Ares.

Also, if you do have a theory on what might be wrong with the little guy, please let me know! (We think pneumonia).

You sit down with both & say, Echo this is Ares. Ares Echo. Then they shake paws.

What do you mean "introduce" them? They're kitties. They'll fight it out & the best kitty wins. Hope you have a good vacuum.

I would NOT let the cats interact until the stray has a clean health report from the vet.

Cat flu is highly contagious as is Feline AIDS. Both likely health problems with the stray.

When the health issues are resolved, you need to introduce them SLOWLY first with a closed door between them with a gap underneath they can smell each other through for at least a week then with slowly introducing supervised contact.