Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 month ago

How many words is too much in a sentence?

I am writing a paper on the effects that bullying can have on youth and their brain development and my thesis is 49 words. Is that way too long or should I be okay? Because I need all of that information in my thesis but I was taught in high school that a thesis can only be one sentence so I cant even split the sentence into two. Ay thoughts or suggestions???

If i split it into two sentences it is 29 and 23 words so I think that is okay but I don't know if I'm allowed to have two sentences for a thesis

You were taught wrongly. A thesis statement can be as long as it needs too be; if the sentence is awkward, break iit up iinto 2 or more.

• ?

First of all, it's incorrect that a thesis can only be in one sentence. Some theses take up an entire paragraph. But you raise an interesting question. Grammar checkers, like the one that comes with Word, can be set to different kinds of writing. Shorter sentence are preferred in business/profession writing, and the check will flag anything over 15 words. Academic writing uses more longer sentences, and your sentence won't be flagged until they hit 30-35 words. The problem comes in stuffing too many ideas in one sentence. If you are now in college, those "rules" from high school don't apply any more. Break your sentence up. 

I give my freshman comp students a speech about the 5 myths they learned in high school that don't apply in college.