Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Is it excessive for a landlord to want to enter your home every month to inspect and spray for bugs?

I rented a small house and I'm finding it really annoying the landlord wants to come in and spray for bugs every month.  I hardly ever see a bug but he said it's their policy.  He doesn't hire a professional exterminator, just sprays something himself then he wants to put out bait monitor traps so he has to look in all the cupboards, closets, everywhere.  

He then wants to criticize everything.   No extension cords or power strips, no candles, no space heaters.  I was starting to get pissed because they sick a note on the door and then expect me to be there.  They came last week to spray bugs now tomorrow he comes back for reinspection and to install new smoke alarms.  

Turns out they can fail you for things not specifically stated in the lease agreement, like having the furnace turned up to high.  It feels like it's more about inspecting and snooping through my stuff than anything. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It may be necessary for the landlord to spray monthly--but that seems rather excessive in some cases--however, not in ALL cases. It depends on the type of bug he's spraying for. You don't say what it is he's trying to keep out. 

If you aren't allowed to have power strips or candles, space heaters or other devices, then DON'T HAVE THEM.  

However, if you're paying your heating bill, you have a perfect right to turn up your heat to a comfortable level.

The landlord has a right to ask this and take care of monitoring it. If you have things you don't want him to see, lock them in a cabinet or unit that has a lock only you can open. I'd make sure you were home when he comes--and keep your private things private.  But you may be right--he may just be snooping. And it's not "failing" you--it's watching you. I'd consider moving somewhere else.  

• 2 months ago

The landlord generally has no legal right to enter your private home. You may AGREE to let them enter, as part of your lease. Some states have enacted laws that allow a landlord to LET HIMSELF IN, without a tenant's permission, merely by giving "reasonable prior notice". In other states, absent such a lease or a statute, the landlord must obtain the tenant's consent to enter at any time, other than for an emergency.

Entering YOUR private home disturbs your "quiet enjoyment" of the rented unit, which is a violation of nearly any type of rental agreement, if it becomes "unreasonably excessive".  You can ask them to stop doing it or to give you a discount for the number of days they are denying you the benefits that they promised when they rented it to you.

In some cases you could even ask for a refund of the entire month's rent, if they have made it unbearable, and sue them if they refuse.

Also, regarding arresting a landlord: not all US states include a landlord entering his or her own property as a "criminal trespass", absent specific circumstances related to use of force or causing damage to your things. In many cases you can be awarded a restraining order by a court that requires a landlord to follow the law and to stop bothering you.

• 2 months ago

Every month is excessive.  Pest control is usualy every 6 mo. Eery couple months if its bad.  There is no need to do pest control every month unles there is an active infestation. He is using that as an excuse. 

It is not right but also not really illegal. Not much you can do about it but find a new plac when your lease is up. 

• 2 months ago

THEY own the building. They have to maintain it. Bug control takes several months to eradicate,  especially cockroaches who lay a ton of eggs that take up to and over a month to hatch.    Flea eggs take up to 5 weeks to hatch.  If you have spiders or bedbugs it's an even longer elimination time.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You mean for the Landlord to want to enter THIER home that you rent.  It is not yours.  Totally normal, you cannot stop them, no that is not excessive.  Him coming is WHY you hardly ever see a bug.  You don't have to be there if you don't want to.

• 2 months ago

It is way too excessive.  He must have had a bug problem in the past and is obsessed about it.  I would talk to him about it.  I wouldn't want to allow it - poisoning your home - very unhealthy, but you don't have a choice if he insists on doing it.  There is no requirement that he hire a professional exterminator.  He has no right to look through your belongings, but the cupboards are different.  He's looking for roaches.  Do you think he cares what your china looks like?   You are pretty much stuck with it, unless you can convince him that once a year is sufficient, or not at all unless bugs are found.  Until your lease ends, air out the place after for three full days. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

When I lived in an apartment pest control came every month. Snooping does not increase his profits. Thats silly.

• Hannah
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You don’t actually HAVE to be there.  They are required by law to give you advance notice of entry into their property that you are renting.  You don’t have to answer the door, either....they have a key and can let themselves in.  You don’t have the option to just not let them in to their property that they own.  

You could look at it from the perspective that your landlord is taking lots of care of the unit to make sure that insects do not become an issue.  It could be the alternative where you’re living with tons of mice, cockroaches, rats, and who knows what else and your landlord doesn’t do anything.  

It’s standard for rental units to not allow extension cords, power strips, candles, or space heaters.  Those are all considered fire hazards.  And if heat is included in your rent, they wouldn’t want you turning up the heat too high and running up their heating bill crazy amounts.  

It’s not excessive at all.  Just sounds like they are really trying to maintain their property and not be slumlords.  

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I think you better start looking for somewhere else to live you can't put up with that.

they are invading your privacy . I wouldn't answer the door when they come over don't let them in. If they let themselves in while your not there call the police and have them charged with stealing your emergency $500 you keep in you bedside draw which was there when you left now its gone. It was all fifty dollar notes .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.