Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is it 'was I wrong to ask for' or 'was I wrong for asking'?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They're both OK and have different meanings. You ask a question, like "Who are you?" or "How much did that cost?" You ask for a thing, like a kiss or a peanut butter sandwich.

• 1 month ago

It would depend on the rest of the sentence.

Was it wrong to ask for seconds when they had so many in the family to feed?

Was I wrong for asking why she got so emotional when we watched 'Gilmore Girls'?

• 1 month ago

Depends. Was it wrong to have asked, or was it the thing which was asked for which is the problem?  The asking itself, or the thing asked for?  Which is the real problem?

• 1 month ago

the first construction is more formal

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Either one. There are many verbs that can be followed by either the infinitive (to ask) or the present participle (for asking). There are lists of them that you can find. Then there are verbs that must be followed by one or the other:

He needs to ask for...

and some that change meaning depending on which is used.

He stopped working to smoke= He stopped to smoke.

He stopped smoking means he won't smoke anymore. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.