Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 month ago

Can you use Bird's Eye Chili for Mexican Birria?

I have seen recipes calling for Guajillo Chili and other types of chili that I assume are meatier and less spicy. The problem is they cost a fortune here in my country. We have 2 types of chili that are abundant here, the red birds eye chili and green finger chilies. Is there a way to use either one of them to make the Consomé for Birria taco?

According to one recipe I read, you can sub any dried mexican/southwestern peppers you can find, such as ancho, new mexico, california, or pasilla. If you really can’t find them, you can skip them, but they’re worth looking for. All of these peppers are mild, and you could even substitute fresh red bell pepper for the Guajillo Chili. The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are what gives the stew the heat, and should not be substituted because it has a kind of smokey flavor. Both Guajillo chilies and the chipotle in adobo are available on Amazon US, and you might check Ali Baba.