I 65 and retired, I use it for surfing. I dont play games or download music or movies.   Suggest a good choice of laptop  under $300  ?

• P

Just to browse the internet well you need at least an i5 with an SSD and a HD screen (1920x1080).   

Something like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-latitude-e7470-1...

Maybe you can find something used or on sale, but laptops have gotten very expensive.  It's very hard to find a PC that works well for under $300.   Chromebooks will work at that price point if you are just using it for the internet.  

get a tablet for surfing instead of a laptop.

chromebook.........

• Yammy

*Used* ((any brand with any series)) i3/5/7 gen 4; 4Gb RAM (minimum); 2Gb dedicated VGA.

• Lv 7

no laptop is worth having that is under $450. not new anyways.

check your local pawn shop for anything less than that.

avoid the following CPU processors: Atom, Celeron, Sempron, Turion.

you get what you pay for.

worst case, why not just get a tablet? a really nice Samsung Galaxy Tab S is about $170...

I would not recommend because for under $300 you will likely get a crappy laptop that is outdated. You don't want something that takes forever loading pages and a crappy 720p screen that is dreadful to look at.  I highly suggest you spend atleast $500-700 and get something with atleast a 1080p screen, 8gb ram, 250gb solid state drive, and a quad core processor. It will make your experience surfing on the internet a lot better trust me. 

Acer has some cheap laptops that would work.  Pretty much any laptop would do the job.  

Look at Chromebooks, that would suit you well and they are generally under $300. Lots to choose from.