Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

would you still classify me as british?

i was born in chester in 1977, my elderly mother is from the isle of man & my elderly father is from spain....i'm a male and classify myself as british still.

any opinions?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you're firmly committed to that fact that your are British; then I classify you as British. I think this idea that  we are indelibly categorized as being of some ethnic group is ridiculous. I have a German name, but my mother's ancestors fought in the American revolution. So, I'm an American. The claim that I'm ethnically German and white European is insulting and totally irrelevant. Those who come to the USA and still claim to be Mexicans or Spaniards, or Germans or whatever need to get it straight about whether or not they are Americans, and if they are not they should go back to the country that has their loyalties. Being here just to enjoy the fruitfulness of our society is dishonest.   

• Zirp
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

chat-questions are not allowed.

If you have the passport/nationality, you are LEGALLY british

If you were born and raised in the UK, with a British native language, you are ethnically british

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you hold British citizenship you're British. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, but not because you were born in England. That makes absolutely no difference at all on your citizenship - for instance children born to tourists don't automatically gain citizenship of that country simply because they were born there. You are British because your mother is a British citizen.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Would we STILL classify you as British? After what? If you were born and raised in Great Britain, you're British by definition. Which part of that was confusing you?

• 1 month ago

Legally you are considered British, at least by the Brits.

I was born in England in 1959, and was moved to Canada later that year, but the Brits still consider me British.  I can get the passport without difficulty.  You are a lot younger, and born there too, so you would be as well.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Of course you are British, you were born there. I was born and bred in Limehouse east London. I've lived in Canada for many years, but I am as cockney as the day is long. You can take the cockney boy out of the east end but you can't take the east end out of the cockney boy. COME ON YOU IRONS.

• Adam
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Born in chester, yes you are British and English

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You must know your own nationality. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes you are British. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.