Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Know any good books a woman in her 30s might like?

i am bed bound for the next month and need entertainment. i haven't read books in probably 20 years. any suggestions?

thanks for all the suggestions or most of them

@sir caustic. i did not forget to read, but even if I had I have plenty of time to learn again ha

I wish I knew more about your tastes in other entertainment, so I could tailor my suggestions.

I'm sitting next to a bookcase, so I'll just jot down the titles of stuff that isn't ancient that I liked.

The Gargoyle, Andrew Davidson

The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins

Red Dragon, Thomas Harris

Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

The Marsh King's Daughter, Karen Dionne

Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler

Misery, Stephen King

Dragon Keeper, Robin Hobb

The Road, Cormac McCarthy

Cryptonomicon, Steal Stephenson

A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Those last two are long and will hold you a good while.

This is a fairly good mix of all the genres I buy in print. (I read others digitally, but they're not sitting in plain sight.) You've got mystery, thriller, science fiction, post-apocalyptic, fantasy...

You're probably noticing that a lot of these became movies, and that's always a good sign, even if the movie wasn't good. The book tends to be substantially deeper and richer than the movie. So don't set one in the "no" pile just because you've seen the movie. In the case of Game of Thrones, having seen it will help you keep straight who is who.

• Rita

"Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. ...

"I'll Give You the Sun" by Jandy Nelson. ...

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. ...

"The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Díaz. ...

"The Tipping Point" by Malcom Gladwell. ...

"Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

• j153e

"Entertainment":  what entertains you is key.

If you can identify say 3 entertaining genres, e.g. light romance, travel, mysteries, then ask Yahoo Books & Authors again, supplying that information.

I recommend Anne Tyler and the late Anne Rivers Siddons.

Pillars Of The Earth By Ken Follett

Red Sparrow 

The Shining

The Cider House Rules

The Bridges At Madison County

Antony And Cleopatra

Twenty years? Forget it. What about crossword puzzles and the like? Or puppets. That's what I'd choose. I like puppets.

"What the Night Sings"   is a critically acclaimed book, by first time author Vesper Stamper. 

The story of a girl who  just barely survives her time in Dresden Concentration Camp..... and how she recovers, and where she might now go from there. 

Described as a Young Readers book,  because it comes with her own lush illustrations... (so nice pictures,  and bigger spaced print and all that) ...but the subject matter is as serious as it gets. ....and it's a gripping story. 

(Not a CHILDRENS book, by any stretch of the imagination. ) 

many ADULTS  praised the book, and it was in fact, nominated for many awards, and won a few. 

• Marli

I wish I knew your tastes. There are so many books and I am old-fashioned.

Gail Bowen writes some interesting mysteries set in the modern world  and starring a female sleuth.

C. J. Sansom wrote a series of mysteries set in Henry VIII's court  The sleuth is Matthew Shardlake, a lawyer in the employ of Thomas Cromwell. The first is "Dissolution"

The atmosphere is dark, but very good reads if you liked 'Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies" by Hillary Mantel, which are also very good.

I am a Jane Austen fan  If you like reading a gentle comedy of manners and romance set in 1790 to 1815, Miss Austen is the lady authoress of choice. "Pride and Prejudice" and "Emma" are my favorites but the others are very good too. They might be slow for modern readers, but you will probably find a cheap copy of the paper version or an e-book if your library has e-books and you have a compatible reader.

I'm also a fan of the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. With "Sherlock" and several other movies and t.v  programs, there are plenty of other books attached to the Holmes brand but I like the original Canon. Just type "Sherlock Holmes" in your library's catalog  or Google books and you'll find at least fifty titles in print.  Laurie King's "Beekeeper's Apprentice" (Mary Russell series) and Carole Nelson Douglas's "Goodnight Mister Holmes" (Irene Adler series) are my favorites in the Sherlock Holmes meets his match in a female sleuth sub-genre.

Two oldie but lightie English authors: P. G. Wodehouse and Agatha Christie.  Their books are like peanuts or potato chips - not much brain nourishment but sometimes I  don't want brain nourishment. Just a glass of sentences.

There are Raymond Chandler's books if you like the films featuring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, like 'The Big Sleep".

You could give "Pride and Prejudice" a try. It's a fairly easy read and there's some humor in it. And even if you don't like it, you can at least stick out your pinky and feel swanky for reading a classic.

🥴

Have someone go to a thrift shop and pick up the smut romance novels. 

Only 50 cents.

I read some really good ones.

Heaven Knows - Elaine Coffman

The Great Alone - Janet Dailey

The Outback - Unknown

Source(s): 🥴 Yeah I didnt pick out these. The former landlords to my house left a big box of them behind. I was at home most of the time and decided to brush up on my English/grammar.