Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Why does it bother some people so much when they see someone picking their lips?

It is uncouth..

(c/p)  Why am I obsessed with picking my lips?

If you can't help but pick at pimples, scabs, bumps, or even healthy skin, you have dermatillomania, sometimes called excoriation disorder. Doctors don't know what causes it, but people who have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) are more likely to have it.

Picking, Pulling, Biting: Body Damaging Disorders - WebMDwww.webmd.com › Mental Health › Slideshows

I dont ever see that and it wouldnt bother me for I would not be focusing on it.

There are social and cultural norms in every society, and in this one it's deemed distasteful to pick anywhere on one's own face.

Who says it does? I've never heard of either people "picking their lips" or indeed, of anyone being bothered by it. Are you the one who is bothered? Or are you the "picker"? Perhaps it might be associated with other habits that aren't socially acceptable in public, such as picking one's nose. At least, its in the vicinity.