Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

How do you recharge your laptop if you don't have access to an electrical outlet?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

car charger for laptop? I THINK they have some solar panel charger, but that might just be for phones.

• 1 month ago

Could you update with more information on where you intend to go that will not have an electrical outlet?  We might be able to make a better recommendation based on that.

For example, if you're going on a train or plane, there often will be a power source at your seat.  If you are traveling by car, you can recharge by accessory outlet.  On a backpacking trip, size and weight critical, so maybe you just want a phone, and possibly an external battery.  On a bike trip, you can recharge at a motel if you stay there, or a public library or fast food place on the road.

• 2 months ago

There are various solar power chargers available that would be able to charge up your laptop, my friend, without the need for an electrical outlet.  See the following webpage for further information.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If your laptop has a built-in USB-C port, then you'll be able to charge your laptop via a USB-C cable - you just have to make sure the cable has a plug adapter (the box-shaped plug at the end of your phone charger than can plug into an outlet).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Have a spare battery that you can swap in if you need it longer than one battery can run it.

Get a car charger, so you can charge the laptop or spare battery from the car 12V power.

I have a charge adapter for mine that allows a spare battery to be charged outside the laptop, so that can be anywhere that has power or in the car whilst I'm working, if needed.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Option 1: Have it struck by lightning 42 times!

Option 2: Put it beside a stack of 42 active plutonium rods.

Option 3: Swing it 42 meters away from the sun's surface.

Seriously though;

1. You can charge a laptop through USB if the USB port is USB-C.

2. If you can take out the battery of the laptop, you can hook it up to another power source for charging. Connecting the battery to a car battery or generator may cause it to explode though. You do this only if you know exactly what you are doing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Usually, you don't. The whole idea of a laptop is that you can operate for a period of time without having access to an outlet. If it doesn't last long enough between charges, then you buy a laptop with lower power consumption or a larger battery.

If your laptop supports USB-C charging, you might be able to charge it with a USB power bank. It would need to be a pretty beefy battery pack to charge most laptops, though. There are other options, like solar panels or portable generators, but these may or may not be practical, depending on your specific needs. If you're in a vehicle, a good 12v power inverter should suffice. 

• Steven
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Power pack with USB cord or something...but I'm not sure if that is even possible. I have never looked into it. And it would have to be a very strong power pack to be able to charge a laptop 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.