Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why do some think everyone who puts effort into their appearance is vain?

Also, when a woman wears makeup she's vain but when a man gets haircuts, wears nice clothes it's not. Double standards. Neither are shallow unless their appearance is the top priority in their lives. You can put 100% efforts into your looks but other aspects in life may still be more important to you.

I'm asking why because I want to know why many people think this way. Also because the same people are the ones who mistreat you when you don't put any or much effort in. It's like they like to bully you for how you look regardless of whether they think you look good or bad and I guess I want to know why. Is it insecurity? Jealousy? Boredom? Having to feel superior?

@Cogito, I've seen people who put what I'd consider '100% effort' into their looks and it looks good in my opinion. Sometimes they will do everything i.e., hair, extensions, full face of makeup, fashion and to me they look good. Sometimes they have a simpler style i.e. minimum makeup, hairs heat styled or even natural and look good.  'trashy, cheap' it depends on their style but to be honest, I don't think people look 'cheap' because I don't think that way.

Critics have their opinions but opinions are not facts. One person you see as looking like 'trash', another person could find trendy and pretty. 

Also, I usually wear just a bit of makeup and stuff but it depends on the day. Just because you think putting lot of effort looks cheap, doesn't mean others do. Other people may think you look cheap if you don't wear makeup, always wear casual clothes because it may seem like you can't afford it. Just saying. You minimalistic taste is not universal.

your*

Ironically saying someone needs to dress down to not look 'cheap' is vain. It means you think highly of your own style and look down on others. It's also arrogant.

In a single word, jealousy.

Who really cares what others"think"?

They may be jealous.

What about the people who dress for comfort & not to impress?  What about the women who don't wear makeup or have their hair done?  What about the common folks?  I don't live in a world where I am judged by what I wear or how I cut my hair.

• Cogito

There's no way to know why ANYONE thinks ANYTHING.

Also, as most women wear make-up, I don't believe that many people would consider that to be vain.  

However, putting 100% into your looks is shallow and really IS vain.  I've met a few people who sound rather like you, who think that anyone criticising their ethics has to be jealous, etc.  They all spent hours applying thick layers of make-up, styling their hair and agonising over fashion, which only resulted in their looking fake, cheap, trashy and often quite ridiculous.  Their critics were just being honest.

Maybe spend some time considering if you'd look much nicer and prettier with just a dab of make-up, natural hair and comfortable clothes?

Some people think all sorts of things. Some people are idiots. Some people aren't. Some people are ignorant and gullible, others aren't. What's the point of asking why?

My point is that the reasons aren't specific, they vary from person to person and situation to situation. Everyone is different, and their tastes, prejudices, beliefs, preferences and points of view come from a HUGE variety of sources and reasons. Asking "why are people like this" implies that you think everyone who thinks a certain way is the same, or thinks that way for the same reason. That's simply not the case. There is no simple answer to your question.