Should you cancel somebody based on there personal beliefs Honest opinions here?

I really want to try to figure out this cancel culture scene and how many people are for it and how many people against it I’m going to be tally up the results of this in about a week I’m personally against it because whatever somebody does in their personal life as their personal life as long as they put out good material.

But I’m trying to conduct a survey and starting with yahoo answers to see how many people are four of us and against us so please let’s refrain from being mean to one another about this this is meant to be a friendly debate keep it PG-13

No absolutely not and that is the final statement on that.

If you're being fired because of your political beliefs then you are bloat and do not deserve to have your job.

No one should have the right to endanger someone because of their political beliefs.

I don't care if you're an actual member of a political party that is extremely abusive or racist if you can put aside your political beliefs to do your job appropriately and you only have your political beliefs outside of your work it is your right to have your political beliefs no matter how messed up they are and anyone who's going to problem with that can leave the country.

Attempted murder via starvation is not justifiable

I don't understand the question. Cancel somebody? Who cancels people? A hit man, the Grimm Reaper.....There is "four" of you????

Rephrase the question and I'll give you an honest answer.

• Zirp

Like rightwingers boycotted the dixie chicks because they were critical towards some war? No

Should we not watch Derrick because Horst Tappert might have been in some Nazi regiment? No, because he's dead.

Should we not listen to songs by Michael Jackson who may have abused children? No because he's dead.

It's not about *having* personal beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if those opinions are worth anything they can discuss them, backing them up with facts and reasoning.

Deliberate misinformation, propagandalies, being offensive for the sake of being offensive... that's where a boycott could be in order

There has always been some form of "cancel culture" in that people who committed terrible acts would often be drummed out of certain industries. The difference now is that instead of corporate boards and CEOs making decisions about whom they don't want representing their brands as an employee now the Twitter mob gets to do it. So these days it isn't about protecting a company from lawsuits or enhancing the reputation of a particular brand, it's just any idiot who woke up on the wrong side of the bed and has an axe to grind. If the collective stupidity and hypersensitivity of the small fraction of the populous that uses Twitter was a real representation of how people en mass feel we wouldn't even deserve to exist as a country. It's really the tyranny of the minority (the minority being people who use Twitter) getting to make all the decisions about the careers of others that most people have a problem with. 

• ?

To understand the "cancel culture", look back at the way the world was before it became an issue. For over 250 years, this country (America) lived by social standards that were based on religion and/or morality.

Compare that with today.

Both of these sources of guidance have been removed and the result has been an explosion of insecurity, gender confusion, hate, racism, and the cancer called "Political Correctness" where individualism is encouraged - unless it goes against someone else's individualism.

Whatever you do or say, you're a "racist" (the non'Jewish term for 'antisemitic'), everyone has a phobia of some kind if they're against immoral behavior.

People identify with different genders - or no genders, but referring to someone by their biological gender is now deemed offensive - and some communities have passed laws against it.

This is your "cancel-culture".

And it's nurtured by the Marxist Liberals. It's all part of the overall plan to maintain confusion and regulate control through laws that will systematically relieve you of all of your Constitutional rights and civil liberties.

• OTTO

Cancel them from your inner circle, anyway.

• Craig

I don't think ostracizing people is a wise or thoughtful thing.  So I don't think this fad of "canceling" a person or a company or an institution is useful.

My opinion isn't intended to be contentious...I don't have anything to do with "canceling" or "not canceling".  I'm just basing it on my experience in a small city, where people I know might do stupid or ungracious things.  Some folks like to suddenly pretend those folks don't exist - to socially cut them off like they've been exiled.  I find that counter-productive, hurtful, short-sighted, and frankly a bit phony and elitist.  I say, when people screw up, let them know in a polite way that will help them do better the next time.  After all, not many of us can afford to just pick up and move somewhere they've never heard of us, after we screw up.  We're all stuck where and when we are in life, and these people, like it or not, are with us.  So acting as if we can make them "go away" is childish.  We all need to learn to live with things that aren't exactly like we would want them to be.

To me, all this emphasis on "canceling" is the same as looking down your nose at somebody.  While I agree that folks who hurt others need to be stopped and corrected, I don't believe that's the objective of "canceling".  It appears to be snooty posing as "holier than thou", or mindless virtue-signaling.  It smacks of Mme DeFarge howling before the guillotine.  (And then after the excitement of head-lopping is done, we go back to our thoughtless routine, if anything less introspective than before, just waiting for the next moment of excitement.  Canceling lets us hop on the emotional rollercoaster for awhile, which is fun, and cathartic.)

Not that I really care much about the misfortunes of celebrities and tycoons.  But frankly this is a FREE country and, among other things, that means I'm free to offend you, displease you, insult you, AND say things that are just plain wrong.  You're free to dislike me and to no longer buy my products.  But beyond that, there's no point in making an issue of things.  We all have to share the planet with people we don't agree with, and even a few we actually dislike.  That's life.  Why make a fuss?

The cancel culture is nothing new.  In the late 1970's there was a show called "Soap".  TV evangelist Jerry Falwell founded a group called The Moral Majority to try to get the show taken off the air.  They threatened to boycott any products that were advertised on that show. 

I think most of the cancel culture is nothing more than a bunch of whining, spoiled children.  Some of it is reasonable. 

• Duck

I'm against it ... Republicans have been engaged in so-called 'cancel culture' for a long time.