Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

If a large meteor hit the deep ocean, would it cause global cooling or warming?

Update:

Imagine I wanted it to cause global warming, and I somehow controlled its path, how would I direct it

Update 2:

There's been movies made about everything, maybe we should stop making them

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

All that energy has to go somewhere. The ocean would boil and the meteor vaporize.  But also a lot of dust and soot would be thrown into the air. So after things cooled down a bit, they would continue to cool, because the earth would be shaded.  Not sure, but I would think a direct hit, as opposed to an oblique angle, would cause the most damage and release the most initial heat.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Thus, after the initial global cooling, the atmosphere would undergo global warming for many years after the impact. If the impact occurred in the oceans, giant tsunami would be generated.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Neither of the 2

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

sure.

look up Krakatoa (volcanic eruption). It generated effects around the world.

Generally, something like that wud be more likely to "cause" cooling.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A bunch of movies have already been made about rocks hitting the earth.  A bunch more were made about aliens taking over earth.

I think your premise of warming in a sci-fi movie is boring.  Your audience would see right through your preaching.  But I'd move your question to Movies to get some feedback.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

One the size of Mt. Everest, like the one that hit at the end of the Mesozoic caused widespread but short term heating followed by several cold years or at least that is what is theorized based on the evidence.   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

How large is "large"? And what do you mean by "deep ocean," like do you mean the middle area of oceans where, except for the Atlantic where the Mid-Atlantic Ridge makes the middle relatively shallow, average depth is greatest, or do you mean the actual deepest parts of the ocean, which are very near coastlines where the subduction of one tectonic plate creates a deep trench and pushes the neighboring tectonic plate up above sea-level and even creates coastal mountain ranges, like the Andes? Also, speed and angle of trajectory are major factors that will make an enormous difference, like if the asteroid that becomes a meteorite is moving very slowly and so ends up dropping straight down at terminal velocity, the impact will be far less than if it's traveling at great speed, even at tens or hundreds of thousands of miles per hour, in which case a steeper entry angle will have a much greater impact than a more shallow entry angle.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.