How could/CAN you properly end a long-running gag cartoon series?

I want to give mine something of an impactful ending with a bit of seriousness. But how can that be achieved without weirding out the viewers or being too out of left field? How should the pacing of something like that go?

• Nick

Calvin and Hobbes on a sled commenting how the fresh snow looks like a white sheet of paper.

• ?

Show one large picture of all of the characters smiling and biding their readers farewell.  

In this day I would just simply announce(at least 30 days in advance to maximize the last payment day) a marathon of selective episode and by the end of marathon I would add one last episode where popular side characters would make cameos and be done it for good.