Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Is it ok for my mom to take hundreds of $ from my bank account? (I'm 18 years old)?

She threatens to do this as a consequence if I don't obey right away. Today she threatened to take in excess of $400 when I went to turn the power back on at the breaker box when she was yelling at me not to.

Empty the bank account and deposit it all in an account under your name, ONLY.

If her name is on the account, the funds are legally hers. If not, she can't take funds from the account.

That said, you are FLAT OUT LYING about the electrical power.

• Audrey

You are old enough to have your own bank account. Grab whatever she didn't steal and open your own.  Oh, and no it's not ok for her to do that but if her name is on it, it's sadly legal.

Not unless you gave her control or she is a co-owner. If she is not, she could not take your money.

If she's co-owner of the bank account, yes that's perfectly legal.   (It may not be ethical if it's your money that you earned, but anything you put in a joint account is fair game to both owners).

If she's not co-owner of the bank account, how did she get access to it?

Now that you're 18, you can open an account in your own name and not share it with your mother.