Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Is it ok for my mom to take hundreds of $ from my bank account? (I'm 18 years old)?

Update:

She threatens to do this as a consequence if I don't obey right away. Today she threatened to take in excess of $400 when I went to turn the power back on at the breaker box when she was yelling at me not to.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Empty the bank account and deposit it all in an account under your name, ONLY.

• 1 month ago

If her name is on the account, the funds are legally hers. If not, she can't take funds from the account.

That said, you are FLAT OUT LYING about the electrical power.

• Audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are old enough to have your own bank account. Grab whatever she didn't steal and open your own.  Oh, and no it's not ok for her to do that but if her name is on it, it's sadly legal.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not unless you gave her control or she is a co-owner. If she is not, she could not take your money.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If she's co-owner of the bank account, yes that's perfectly legal.   (It may not be ethical if it's your money that you earned, but anything you put in a joint account is fair game to both owners).

If she's not co-owner of the bank account, how did she get access to it?

Now that you're 18, you can open an account in your own name and not share it with your mother.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.