Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

When it rains my yard becomes a river, how can I build a shed on this ground? ?

When it rains the water stands in one place and becomes a river. What can I do about building a shed on this ground? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Elevate it above the water line, you'll also have to make sure the ground, even when wet, will support it without sinking.

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

yes you can , hope you like your shed flooded out !

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Concrete blocks with 4  x 4 treated timber supports.

• 1 month ago

First, you must construct a french drain to move the standing water from that spot. Basically an underground perforated pipe to collect and move water.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

concrete footings that are both, below the freeze line and above the expected flood water

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need some landscaping. In particular, a swale.  A swale is a shaped shallow ditch to drain the area. Generally it takes a tractor with a blade and is a job of a landscaper.   A blade means you need to locate all of the pipes and electrical in your yard to be you sure to avoid it.  Don't build any structure until you get your drainage fixed.  But, for building a shed you will have to raise the elevation well above the grade.  Like 12" above existing grade and put some dirt around it to leave about 6".  High enough so that the grass does not touch the walls.  The best foundation is a poured concrete foundation, and you would make it big enough for a truck load of concrete. Which is an easy job for a concrete crew.   You can never have too much concrete, even if you do not put a building on all of it.  Another nice thing about concrete is that there are no snakes, rats, etc. under it.

• 1 month ago

I would set a series of pressure treated 4 x 4 inch posts down about three feet into the ground and even deeper if the water soaks that deep. I then would erect my floor on these posts just as a pier and beam house has been constructed for centuries. If you are not familiar with pier and beam then check out YouTube for some videos.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ever see homes in flood areas? Build it on stilts. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You could build the shed on a base of conctete blocks that raise the base of it above the water line.

Have you ever seen those 'concrete mushroom' things for sale in places that sell antiques and bric-a-brac .. that people buy to use as garden ornaments ?

That's what they were used for.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.