Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

Is a 600cc sport bike a good starter bike?

I’m looking to get my first motorcycle this summer. I was thinking about getting a ninja 250 or 300 but I’m a larger guy, I’m 6 feet and about 260 pounds. Thanks for any answers. 

It's really going to depend on the specific bike. Generally beginners tend to be really rough with throttle input, so an engine with peak-y power output can easily catch new riders off guard. Other engines have a very moderate output, with a fairly linear and predictable power band that doesn't offer any surprises. That is to say, not all 600cc engines are the same. A 600cc supersport? Very bad idea. 600 cruiser? Probably a safe bet. 

While not quite a 600, a Rebel 500 is a decent step up from the 300 class, and with the power band tuned to deliver more torque early in the rev-range, will make it easier around town. Alternatively Honda's CB(R)500 is also good starting point. A CBR600RR? Nope. Even though they are close in displacement, they have very different output, not only in raw power, but how it's delivered.

Other considerations include price, weight, and ergo package. In some cases an Iron 883 might be a decent starting bike for larger riders thanks to it's relatively low power output and very predictable throttle, but generally not great for most due to high price and heavy chassis. So things to consider.

Sorry, but you ain't going to fit on a 600cc sportbike. A dual sport/dual purpose bike is the best starting point for you. Upright position, plenty of space, very easy to learn and master, easy to pick up after you crash it, cheap to fix, and a whole lot of fun to ride. You can buy used fairly cheap, then later, sell it for not much less that what you paid for. [ been riding and racing for over 30 years, and have owed about 18 bikes of all kinds]. Good luck. 

Its fine just take it slow. DO NOT try to show off, do not try to do any kind of race and remember to counter lean on very slow speed turns. . Get that experience first. Atleast 6 months of keeping your cool and taking it easy on the bike.

i would think you might want to start with a 300 or 500 cc 50 years ago i started with a 100 cc and then a 350 cc and then a 750 and then went to a 250 helix scooter and then to a 650 burgman. that burgman scooter was faster than maos anything. and i never was beat on that bike ever just be careful  read my post here

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

• Ron

Everyone mentions the going power of a 600 but they forget the braking power. New riders tend to panic more and grab the brake handle. I will guarentee you that THAT will screw you over more than too much throttle.

Myabe consider a tall bike, one that fits you.

• Fred

Your "6ft and 260 lb."?

Let me put it this way: I'm just under 6ft. in socks, and in the Summer heat under 200 lb. 

Put me on a 250cc sport bike and my road range is around 60 miles!  After the first 10 miles I'm going to push that bike into the 90mph range to get threw the last 50 miles in the next 35 minutes to make a painful ride as brief as possible!  

The wife had a 250 Ninja before she had a hip replacement (non motorcycle related).  I had to ferry it on ... very rare occasion .  It is however the easiest road handling sport bike I have experienced.

The 250 also includes the most sonically annoying motorized experience of my life.

If clunky transmissions are painful to you: the Ninja 250 gains a lifetime blue ribbon in that too!

I do entertain the 600cc sport bike briefly: for deliciously carving curves... but that includes great danger of those 'off track' 'one vehicle accidents' and great amounts of pain in long rides.  .. also of loosing a college room mate to a sport bike accident every time I throw a leg over one! 

MotoGP riders started their careers on 125cc or 250 cc bikes.  You should too. 

"A man has got to know his limitations" -  Dirty Harry

• adam

sport bike? I doubt it. Cruiser or a standard ? Not a problem. 

A good starter bike is a standard mc such as a Yamaha TW200. The little Ninja's are really standard mc's, so they're ok, too. Don't buy new, buy used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxPMu7tI7Mg&list=F... 

• Anton

Assume you are neither a Troll or an Idiot....

A street legal racing motorcycle is pitiful on the streets.  Your weight in on your hands.

The little Ninja is a bit better, but still leaning on your hands.

You want to be comfortable on the bike, so you are watching traffic instead being awkward.  Hence:  a better starter bike is a dual-sport.

The Sporty bikes have expensive body that WILL break when you fall.  And you WILL fall.  The Dual doesn't care if you drop it.  The Dual doesn't care about rough pavement, pot-holes, curbs, etc..  Not to mention, you can see that it fits you better.