How close to my neighbors yard do I put this?

I am buying a large metal shed to put in my back yard.  I live in VA.  Right now I plan to place it about 8 ft. from my neighbors back yard property line.  Does anyone know if that is far enough over?

• Droopy

Check with your locality. 8 feet should be fine. 

• garry

usually the roof of the shed must be foot from the properties boarder , as long as it doesnt finish on hes land . Call your local council for official clearance if  your not sure and some councils are very specific about sheds and sizes allowed .

You'll have to call your county and find out if there is a setback limit on a shed in your back yard. We're not experts here in Virginia local law, and in any case, that varies greatly within the state as well as the municipality. So you 'll have to get info from an ACTUAL county official who knows what you are supposed to do. 

This is called a "property-line setback" and varies locally. In my town you can't build anything within 50 feet of a property line without a public hearing with abutters and have the town grant a variance. Other towns have 10 or 15-foot setback minimums and large cities may have as little as 2 or 5 feet, depending upon the zone and type of structure you're putting up, absent any variance.

Not all sheds require a "permit".

• ALBERT

I would go to visit the department in the city I live in that deals with building permits. They no usually pretty well about rules like fence building, how many square feet you are allowed, how close to an other building you have to be ,etc.

• CB

It depends on the county/community/architectural review board rules. You will not get an accurate answer until you supply a specific local in VA. 

It should be but setbacks vary by community. Since you will need a permit ask when you're getting the permit.

i would ask your neighbors about it too

You had better check with your council as you will probably need a permit to erect it. They will have all the guidelines on distance etc. Maybe their website has all the info and you may be able to apply online for the permit, if one is required.

You would need to contact your local government.