Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Why am I being bombarded with TV commercials when I pay $300 a month ?

It should be free like in the old days.

• RICK

TV was never commercial free

Commercial TV makes its Money from adverts not your 300 a month

I don't know why you pay 300 a month cyclops.  I rarely watch tv and certainly do not rely on tv for my news.

Instead of suffering through the adds, I do my research,  I bought  two induction cook tops locally.  Together they were 10% of the cost of a big brand induction cook tops and they are just as fast, easy to clean and for an added bonus they fit in a drawer, freeing up space on the counter.

Curiosity and research helps, for example, I watched some instructional video's on solar panels with battery backup. Seems like it was something I could do myself and when I bought my solar panels from China for 26 cents a Watt + shipping.   Just buy a skid load and sell any panels that you don't need locally, I love technical stuff and building, so for me Installing them was actually a fun project.   I don't feed the extra electricity to the grid, I just dump the over production during the summer months as heat, into my swimming pool.  In winter I top up my batteries at night when the rates are lower.  Utility company complains, but since I pay connection charges and do not connect my output of my solar panels to the grid, there is nothing they can do.

In the summer I go fishing and fill my freezer, we have fish 2 - 3 times a week.  After a day of fishing, there is nothing like going into the pool for half an hour, shower, have a beer or a glass of wine and a 20 minute nap before dinner.  Who needs adds polluted tv?

Electricpole, even though we disagree politically, also helps his community.  3,600 would get you 2kW of solar with 7kWh of battery backup, too small for the average house but you will be doing something positive instead of all this negative (pun not intended) political stuff.  You'd even have some left over for the beer.

Drug dealer technique.  Get someone hooked for free, and then charge them after they're addicted.

• Sky

Because like millions of other people you have been suckered into paying for commercial TV.  We never had cable TV when I was growing up but I remember watching it over at a friend's house who had cable, and they never had commercials other than maybe for other shows on the channel (of course the exception has always been cable versions of free broadcast TV which showed commercials to pay for what people could get for free with an antenna).  That's because the whole point of paying for cable TV was the ability to watch TV without commercials since the monthly fees paid the networks which paid the TV shows.  I'm not sure about satellite TV back then, when people had satellite dishes big enough to receive signals from a Jupiter lander, but I would assume that was also commercial-free since people paid through the nose for satellite.

But then some corporate idiot had the idea to start pumping commercials into cable TV.  What are people gonna do?  Stop paying for all their precious channels that they can't get over the air?  So people had no choice but to pay for commercials just to watch the shows they wanted.  And have you noticed that over time, the TV show offerings have become total sh!t?  My mom has cable through AT&T, and when either one of us scrolls through the hundreds of channels, there's maybe 2 things worth watching, and usually they're reruns from the 60s, 70s, or 80s when shows were actually good.  The rest is garbage.  And there are dozens of channels with the sole purpose of selling you something, and people have to pay for that, too!

The way to go is to cancel cable and satellite service, only watch what you can get free over the air, and use the internet for the rest of your viewing pleasure.  With ad blockers I never see advertisements on youtube or anywhere else unless the video itself has the ad in it (ie. youtubers saying "this video sponsored by...").  Stop paying for commercialized crap!

I remember when cable TV first came out, you paid the monthly cost so you wouldn't have commercials. Guess that went flying out the window. But years ago if someone told you they planned on selling water in plastic containers you would have thought they were crazy. 

Honestly, because you have a TV and subscribe to cable. 

I unplugged mine in mid 2009 when they dropped over air analog broadcasts. Never had cable, and never will. I miss absolutely nothing of value. 

If it wasn't for the ads you would be paying more.