Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Which branch of the military did you choose to serve in and why? ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

USAF, to learn electronics so I'd have a job to turn to when I got out.

• 1 month ago

I had wanted to join forever,  but life had other plans for me. 

But the time I was able to join, I was too old- 

Then one day, I was reading the paper......and it said they had just raised the age limit by 3 years for those with college degrees. 

I was out the door, before the  paper hit the ground. 

I talked to the Air Force recruiter first, and it was going well, until I mentioned I had my gall bladder taken out at 25.   He tore the paperwork up......and explained he couldn't take me. 

Oh , okay.......so I left his office and the Navy recruiter was free, and I walked up to him and  said,  "Is not having a Gall Bladder a problem for the Navy? 

and he invited me to sit down   and I signed on the spot. 

Never once regretted it, and it worked out great- 

Air Forces loss was the Navy's gain.....as I went on to win many awards and medals...and was stationed all over the world....,mostly forward deployed, (by my choice)  the entire time.  Loved every second of it. 

• 1 month ago

I went to the recruiters complex(in those days all branches had their offices in the same building)the day I turned 17. The Coast Guard office was closed. The USAF was closed. The Navy had a fat slob with a stained uniform and filthy office. He told me to sit down and wait. The Army had a recruiter that told me to make an appointment. The USMC recruiter was standing outside the door in his dress blues, the office was spotless. The Marine looked at me and smiled and said "hello, how can I help you?". My mind was made up on the spot. I never once regretted that choice.

Source(s): USMC 1978-1984 0311 0331 0323
  • 1 month ago

Air Force.   My oldest brother went Army.  He hated it.  My second oldest brother did Air Force and said it was tolerable.   Three friends joined the Navy,  I get sea sick so that was not for me.   So I joined the Air Force as the Marines did not have any positions in my career field.  I did 20 and retired.   I loved it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I watched the Battle of Britain from the Ground over London and after we were saved from Invasion by the RAF i decided I wanted to work on aircraft so at 17 I Joined the RAF and served for 9 years

later Emigrated to Australia and served in the RAAF for 29 years I loved my Job

Teaching EOD and IED was great fun

• Rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The oldest male in my family has gone Army since the Civil War ......

• 1 month ago

I didn't. I was the eldest son of a Navy and Coast Guard chief warrant officer.

That was service enough as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month ago

US Army, previous family members served in the Army. If I had to do it over, I would choose the Air Force, more intelligent people & occupations.

• 1 month ago

Air Force.  I think military aircraft are Sierra Hotel.  I got to do work on A-10, B-1, F-16 and F-15E programs.

• OTTO
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

USAF. Why? I liked the brochures. 4/75-4/79.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.