Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why is debate more about win or lose than right or wrong?

It's even called a win, yet you're trying to prove facts and present unbiased information. Is debate just to stroke egos at the expense of knowledge?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

For some people yes.  For others no.

• 1 month ago

There is a special type of person who argues a point in hope of arriving at the truth more than scoring debating points. This person is willing to lose if it means getting to the truth. 

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

debate is for future lawyers. lawyers often win cases for the "bad guys".

convincing someone that up is down isn't easy, but it's impressive if you can pull it off.

i could have been a lawyer myself, if i had fewer scruples ;)

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That depends on exactly what form of debate you're referring to, which you've failed to mention [emphasis on FAIL]. Scholastic debate, political debate, parliamentary debate, moderated vs unmoderated debate, legal cross-examination debate, barroom debate, philosophical debate, yada yada yada. When you get a clue and can be more specific, try again. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.