Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Alicia asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

how can i get my cat to stop peeing on furniture?

I have many cats. She is the only one who pees on things. Everyone else goes in the litterbox. I keep the box clean but she still keeps on peeing. Any tricks or ideas? I dont want to have to get rid of her..

9 Answers

Relevance
  • PANKO
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

She's mad at you. Why do you have so many kitties? Get rid of them & she'll stop.

• 1 month ago

Maybe she's not getting enough attention. The 'ignore' technique doesn't actually work. Give her most of your attention and she'll stop. Also, I'd recommend buying each cat their own litterbox. Cats don't like to share with one another.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Get her checked by a vet, she could have an UTI. Also if you have multiple cats make sure each cat has their own litter box. I know you said you keep it clean but cats don't generally like to go in the same litter box as another.

• 1 month ago

#1 You need one more litter box than you have cats.

#2  She might have a urinary tract infection or bladder stones.  I have success with this administering 50mg Ascorbic acid per 10 pounds body weight daily for 5 days..  If it doesn't work or if you don't want to do it, take her to the vet for a checkup. 

#3 You need to get rid of the pee smell on the furniture, as it will tempt her to go there again.  I recommend Nature's Miracle, used as directed.  You could use white vinegar instead, it's cheaper but a lot more work.  You have to rinse out the vinegar smell and then treat with baking soda in water and let it dry.

Beyond this, maybe the vet has an idea.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Have her checked by a vet first. Peeing outside of the litter pan can be a sign of urinary tract problems. 

Get more litter pans. Generally you want 1 litter pan per cat plus an extra. Spread them out. It doesn't do much good if they are all together. Put them in different rooms. 

Get larger litter pans. Cats like to fit comfortably inside the box. You can try covered and uncovered to see what she prefers. 

Have you by chance switched to a new litter recently? Some cats are picky about their litter. 

Get an enzymatic cleaner and thoroughly clean up all the pee spots. If she can smell pee she will keep peeing in that spot. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Too many cats and this one is scared/anxious.reduce the number of cats you hoard

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For a multiple cat household, you need to have one box more than the amount of cats in the house. That means if you have 4 cats, you will have 5 boxes. Put them in various areas of the house. 

If your cat is urinating on the top of furniture, it is likely she has a bladder infection. A bladder infection causes pain and urgency. The cat sometimes thinks the actual litter box is responsible for the pain, so they avoid using the box. Female cats are not terribly likely spray on the sides of furniture.

Another question: IS SHE SPAYED??

Take your cat to the vet to be checked for an infection, which can then be cleared up with antibiotics. Get her spayed if she is not already spayed.

Additionally, do/check these things:

-Covered box: Some cats DO NOT like covered boxes. At least two of the boxes should not have a cover.

-Location: Some cats may feel cornered or trapped in certain locations. That is why the boxes need to be in various locations.

-Other pets: A dog or an aggressive cat may make a particular cat feel trapped in or around the box. Another reason for additional boxes.

-Box size: Be sure the boxes are large enough. We use the plastic storage boxes that are both higher and larger than a normal litter box. Our cats prefer these. Some larger cats cannot even comfortably fit in a normal litter box.

-Declawed: If a cat has been declawed, it can sometimes cause pain when using the litter. In that case, check with your vet or pet supply store in what to do for this.

-Outside: Some cats who have become used to going outside for litter purposes will only use the "big litter box outside". If this kitty was ever outside, you may need to allow her outside for her potty purposes. Be SURE you do not leave her outside, however. This is cruel and unkind.

Get her checked for a bladder infection before proceeding. An untreated bladder infection can cause kidney damage.

• 1 month ago

Get rid of your furniture.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Get a separate litter box for that cat. Some cats won't go where they smell other cats have been.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.