Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My kitten won’t stop biting?

I’ve had my kitten (2 months old) for 3 weeks now and she won’t stop biting me while playing. I’ve got all sorts of toys that can entertain a kitten but once she gets bored of them she’ll go back to attacking my hands and feet. She does the same with my parents too. I’ve read about this behavior online and what was recommended was to walk away or stop playing with the cat whenever they try to bite. I’ve tried that but failed, if I try to walk away she will come after my feet. How can I train her not to do that?

Mine did that too. She grew out of it. I think every cat I have owned has done that. Maybe you could hold one of the toys out to her as she goes for your feet?

The child is teething.  Just like a human baby, kittens go through a teething period too.  Get her some soft toys to chew on.  You train a cat by using a clicker or snapping your fingers.  And use her NAME.  She bites, look her in the face, snap your fingers and say Babycat, NO!!  And really reinforce the NO!  It also won't hurt to have a little spray bottle of water and squirt her in the face if she bites.   She'll soon figure it out tht biting results in a squirt to the face.

You're delicious. No, she's young & she just wants your attention. Try holding her, talking to her & brush her. Spend time with her.

The 'ignore' technique does not work. Give her your full attention and she will stop!

more toys, more play

You can also yelp when she bites, and then hiss loudly before you walk away.  This is more emphatic.  Her mother or litter mate would yelp and maybe hiss.  

Hissing works great for kittens; a little hiss for a mild correction, a loud hiss when it's serious.  

And then, always have something you can dangle to distract the kitten from your fingers.  Fingers are not cat toys!  

• .

Maybe you've gotten the wrong kind of toys. Kittens still teethe, and they need things to chew, albeit a shorter time than a puppy, but still. Also, PLAY WITH HER  instead of leaving her to figure out the toys for herself. Wand toys, a shoelace on the ground, anything to interact with her in a positive way. I got my kittens kongs; when they started to bite me, I would replace my hands and feet with a kong they could bite and kick, and in general, it worked. You haven't failed; it takes longer than you think. It's not overnight. Many times, I would walk away and take my hands away. Many times they came back. I would walk away and ignore again, and again, and again. She's still VERY much a baby and won't "get it" and it won't "sink in" for a while yet. You are expecting too much too soon. 

At that age, you have to expect that they aren't necessarily going to learn the lesson super fast.  Be patient.  She's just following her instincts.  Keep doing the denial thing.  And BE CONSISTENT.  When she crosses the line, stop immediately.

If you want to step it up a notch, use a squirt bottle.  Just get like a little spray bottle for misting plants, fill it with water, and give a squirt everytime she crosses the line.  My current pair of cats took a long time to learn the no-biting rule.  They considered nipping and biting to be a perfectly acceptable means of communication.  But they did eventually learn.

• Maxi

Put a glove on so if she bites your hand you can slip it out of the glove, so all she is left with is the glove...as far as biting feet wear slippers and if she chases feet then a trailing string will encourage her to chase/catch that, not the feet....... sounds like this kitten is getting over sensitised by too much petting and getting too much attention being allowed to chase/bite fingers and feet... so get a cat tree to allow her to climb to get rid of the excess energy and pet/play using toys/glove only

• ?

Get yourself a squirt bottle full of distilled water. And put a teaspoon of mint food flavor concentrate into the water.

Whenever the kitten attacks or bites spray it straight in the face with the mint water. Cats detest the smell of mint and they don't like water too much either your cat will very swiftly associating biting with getting sprayed with water and smelling mint all day.