Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kay asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

Bury weeds?

I was clearing my yard and now I have 8 bags full of weeds mixed with some soil. Would it be a good idea to dig a large hole in the ground and just bury the weeds. Will they decompose or will I have to worry about them growing back?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

If they are more than a couple feet deep, then most weeds won't survive.  Some may go dormant until they are near the surface again, but that's not likely unless you're digging up the area in the next yearish.  Given weeding is never ending anyway, you'll likely have more growing on that spot whether you bury them or not.

• 1 month ago

Let the garbage man take them away.

• 1 month ago

If the weeds are in black plastic bags they will eventually become compost if you leave the bags in the sun.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

why not use weed killer or boiling water to kill them ..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They'll come back.  If you regularly have kitchen vegetable/fruit scraps as well as leaf and grass clippings, you might consider setting up a compost bin and throwing the weeds in there.  

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Weeds will come back. They always do.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

About half of it will come back and cause you a future problem.  The best way to handle a weed is to cut it back before it can reproduce and keep cutting it back until you wear it out and dies.  It is also the easiest way to kill a weed.  And even easier if you are sitting down on a riding lawn mower.   What you can't cut, spray with a weed killer.

• Ben
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It depends on the type of weed.

Most will die in no time and rot into the soil even if buried only a couple of inches deep, as long as they stay buried (it's excluding all light which is the important part).

Certain more persistent perennial weeds would need burying very deep (2-3 feet) if you want to kill them, and horsetail will grow back pretty much regardless of how deep you bury it.

• 1 month ago

Weeds are extremely resilient and are more than likely to grow back.

My advice is to totally destroy them preferably by fire.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.