Should I buy a new laptop or replace the motherboard to my 2015 Mac Laptop?

I have a mac laptop 2015 where everything works fine but the screen. I brought it to a location with high ratings and they had mentioned the cost would be $400 to replace the motherboard. Its something to do with the light that connected to the motherboard. I'm in my last term of graduate school and plan to do my doctorate in the summer of this year. I'm debating should I just replace it as I have the old Microsoft office for that laptop or buy a new/refurbished laptop but then I have to buy a monthly subscription of Microsoft office since their old programs doesn't work on anything that is current. I'm having a difficult time deciding and wanted the public opinion, advice, suggestion.

The reason I don't want to buy new because it a lot of money but the reason I'm not sure to fix old is that it 2015 and other issues could occur but I'm not tech-savvy to really know. And being a student in medicine I need to write a ton of papers but I'm already in debted as it is. 

Ok, let's first answer a couple of things as to cost.  First, you won't need to buy a MS Office subscription, simply move to Open Office, which is free.  They are just as powerful as Microsoft and easy to switch to as it's a very similar feel.  Second, if the problem with the motherboard is keeping your display from working properly, have you considered an external monitor as a cheaper alternative?  Lastly, if it were me, I'd go with a whole new system, a new laptop.  The reason being twofold. You need a laptop AND you need it to work BEYOND your doctorate.  AND it's not like having a doctorate in medicine means you make bucks right away, so you need to go beyond that point for a while at least.  As much as I usualyl tell people to go with a version or two back, I'm going to say : new laptop. 

I would just buy a new MacBook

• ?

Go ahead and buy a new machine....

• BigE

Did you try an external monitor?  I think you need a Thunderbolt to VGA connector, perhaps someone has one to borrow?  I shelved my laptop until I could convert to MacMini since I never used the laptop as a laptop (not this one).

As far as a laptop, I prefer chromebook or notebook with Linux.

Given the age of your machine, and the fact that it's already broken, I'd recommend an upgrade. Who knows when the next part will fail? And at what point?

I'd recommend steering away from Apple. Their laptops are far less competitive these days, especially with computers like the Dell XPS, HP Spectre, and even the ASUS Vivobook. I'll also parrot a previous answer and recommend Open Office as an alternative to Microsoft Office. Just as good.

Avoid going too cheap, especially where you're going to need to type a lot. Nothing worse than a laptop with a mushy, cheap keyboard when you're trying to type an essay, and you'll run into longevity issues. 

it's six years old .. get a new one

• keerok

Laptops are difficult to repair. They're not modular compared to desktops. I suggest you replace the whole laptop instead.